Synthesizer, noise as a source?

Ninjazz

I was looking at a review of the Slim Phatty and it was mentioned it did not have noise as a source. As far as I know noise generation in a synthesizer is good for something like making a snare-ish sound, that's all I can think of. I even tried messing with the noise in Monark both as a sound and as a modulator, just sounded like crap to me. So I must be missing something. Any examples as effective use as noise as a sound in synthesis? Is it really that valuable?

Making snares is pretty important... although I guess most people do use samples these days.
-Some people use it alongside a more conventional saw square sine or triangle to make leads: I've used it to fill out a supersaw and I know disclosure have used noise as one of the layers in their leads.
-The 'hoover' synth also has some noise in it.
-You can also put a very resonant filter over it and make a lead that way.
-White noise risers are also very common, get noise, add a lowpass/bandpass and slowly raise the cutoff.
-Pink floyd did some effects with it in 'welcome to the machine'

That's all I can think of at the moment.

I was looking at a review of the Slim Phatty and it was mentioned it did not have noise as a source. As far as I know noise generation in a synthesizer is good for something like making a snare-ish sound, that's all I can think of. I even tried messing with the noise in Monark both as a sound and as a modulator, just sounded like crap to me. So I must be missing something. Any examples as effective use as noise as a sound in synthesis? Is it really that valuable?
'

Noise most def is a sound source.

Like you said making snares, Triggering gated noise, sweeps and rises using filters, etc..it can be used for whatever your mind can think of a use for it for. Noise is crazy useful.

any of the synth rock albums of the 70's and 80's were more likely to be using noise for wind and surf sounds than actual samples - it was more cost effective and easily developed surf comes in on wave fronts so is periodic in nature, you can therefore use an lfo to drive the filter cutoff frequency to emulate the sound of the surf crashing on and then receding

wind can be emulated with filter resonance (whistling of the wind) and filter cutoffs (body and push of the wind) manipulated manually or with a pseudo-random function driving both

Back