Synth-Reproduction (from Vexares Etude Pour Deux)

Sceptny

Hey!

Does anyone know how to make the synth from vexare used in "Etude Pour Deux"

for the second melody at 0:41 in Reason? I think he maybe uses Saw waves in Malström or Thor (Reason 5) for it but i cant figure out the right way to craft this sound to make it sound nearly like this..

Last edited by a moderator:
This would create at least a similar sound:
I believe the main timbre is a pulsewidth-modulation with a slow modulation speed layered with 2 standard squarewaves.
The first squarewave is one octave lower with the same level as the PWM. The second squarewave is 2 octaves lower than the PWM and is blended it to get more of a foundation.
The 2 squarewaves are together are 25 % out of phase with the PWM.
Then all of the oscillators are ringmodulated with a 5th oscillator consistng of a standard sinewave 4 octaves lower, to get that aggressive touch. Experiment of the level of the modulation.
Then they all go through a lowpassfilter (with a little resonance), with an envelope with a slow attack, full sustain and no release. The depth of where the envelope starts and the attack time, is controlled in the piano sequencer, probably by the velocity or other note-information (for example X or Y value). That's why the heavyness of the lowpass envelope changed from note to note.

Last edited:
PWM is a square, that gets more and more narrow, and then back at a fast rate.
Many synths have a built PWM oscillator. Though if it doesn't, you can mimic one.
Do this by having 2 saw-oscillators, one at a positive amplitude, and one at a negative amplitude (this second one should also be out of phase, by taste).
Then apply an LFO to the negative one controlling the phase at a desired amount and rate.
Now you have your PWM timbre!

Um, no, a PWM is not a square wave that becomes narrower

A square wave is the special case of the Pulse Wave that has 50-50 duty cycle - i.e. 50% positive - 50% negative; Pulse Waves in general can vary the duty cycle from 1-99 to 99-1, though there is evidence in the FFT analysis of the various duty cycles that once you get to 49-51 and then cross to 51-49 the spectrum is the same but the phase is shifted 180[sup]o[/sup] (it is reflected across the 50-50 divide).

So, a Pulse Width Modulated (PWM) wave is actually a square wave that has its duty cycle (width) modulated by some other waveform, usually as part of a n LFO, but you can drive it with any control voltage such as an adsr or even white noise

Back