Synth???

TEOS

Hey,
Can someone tell me how to make a synth like this or does someone even know which synth this is?

The synth i mean starts at 0:00

Thanks!

Hmm. That's a hard one. Besst bet is to say it's an FM sythnesizer. Its sounds soft, almost organ like. Which means it probably comprised of sine and triangle waves. Other than that. I'm lost. Good luck. It's a very distinct type of sound.
Listened to it again. It almost has a Theremin aurora to it. A Theremin is one of the first synthesizers ever invented. And is pretty insane how it's played, with no hands, but anyways. I think it sorta sounds like that. A bit different, but sounds similar. Look up and see if you can find any theremin vst's and then maybe try and creat te soud that way.

Last edited:
I agree, it sounds like a little more basic FM timbre.
I would start with a sinewave modulating a sinewave, and try different octaves (here a synth of which the oscillators have additive features will be very helpful, so you can try several octaves together on the operating sound, otherwise you can just use multiple operators and set the octave to each one of them). I would also try changing the waveshape on the carrier and see if it gets better.
It sounds a little like a smooth modulating detuned sound, I would guess it's because an operator is detuned slighty.
It then goes through some smooth unison, 4 voices maybe, smooth detuning, low volume on the voices if possible.
I guess there's also some smooth chorus applied (not sure of the settings though).
Then you have some manually made portamento here and there in the pianosequencer as midi-data (commonly known as slide-notes).

I'm not sure if this is correct, but it's what I'd try.

I'm no expert to say the least, but I think that's a sample. Sounds Old Skooly (I mean Ravey Old Skoolyl). Maybe a string sample played in a low octave. You can hear where the end of the sample glitches as well, where it doesn't perfectly loop back round again. The 2nd note or chord as well, has portamento on it I think where it glides up to the next note. If it hasn't, then it's been pitch bended up, but I think it's probably portamento. I have some ravey samples. Will try and find one similar and play the same melody and upload it to my soundcloud.

Last edited:
Find a similar pad sound in any synth. You just have to go through preset banks until you find something similar then you tweak it out.... It takes forever to program synths from scratch, its a waste of time. Find where sounds are and remember thir locations. I'd reccomend NI FM8, NI Razor, Tone2 Gladiator, Tone2 ElectraX, NI Absynth, NI Massive, ro even Sylenth 1. After you find a similar sound just play with the portament settings. Record the chords you want, export the loop, chop it at each chord hit, and throw it in a sampler.

why is it when we cannot hear a lot of harmonics we automatically assume it must be fm based - this is a saw wave filtered with a triangle wave added

lots of pitch bend, some noise adsr and filter mod to match then we get into the ballpark without having to rely on an fm approach

Well honestly, it does actually sound like a very simple FM-patch to my ears. More than a filtered sawwave with a trianglewave imo. But it could be that as well I guess.
I haven't tried remaking it, but i don't assume it's FM just because it doesn't have that many harmonics (I guess you mean dull).

Last edited:
Back