swing on fl studio

J

jakeodo

soo this is something that confuses me somewhat. i know all of you that use fl studio know what im talking about and im sure theres some variation of it in other programs, but when is a good time for you to use it? is it mainly for just making your rhythm/groove sound more natural if you clicked the notes out or what?

Swing is a parameter that shifts the start time of off beat 16ths off the grid by a predetermined amount. We measure individual 16th notes in ticks, as in clock cycles :tick-tick-tick-tick-etc.

It can shift the start of an offbeat 16th note by as much 16% later - delaying a note by 8 ticks in the 16th note duration of 24 ticks. This equates to a 32:16 (2:1) tick length ratio for a pair of 16ths within the same 8th note space. This is effectively triplet 8th-triplet 16th pairs.

Other sequencers allow you to switch the swing out to 75%, which would be a 36:12 (3:1) tick length ratio. this is effectively dotted 8th-16th note pairs.

Use is down to taste. Most hip hop and rap use a swing factor of 66% - swing slider all the way to the right in FL. Some folks use swing to compensate for poor timing on playing notes in, others use it to compensate for mousing notes in.

Experiment with different swing factors and decide how you want to use it.

How you use the swing in FL? I've always wondered.. I be fukn w/ it but it never adds no swing. I'm bouta check the bible..

---------- Post added at 02:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 AM ----------

I hear it now.. I guess it's only when you use the blocks not the piano roll. Kinda makes me wanna get uh MPK, but it still can't have different settings for each drum sound or pattern.

In my opinion.. As far as the swing. I would only use it if I'm doing something EXTREMELY manual.. what I mean by that is.. If I'm going in and individual programing notes in the piano roll and I'm looking to get a live feel.. Sorta like the percussion you hear in Timbalands tracks to provide an example of what I'm saying.

Back