Swing - Drum pattern ending before end of bar

lukesan

Hello sorry if this has already been posted but I could not find an answer (just joined for this question)

I am putting a drum pattern on the piano roll and when I want the pattern to end and start again there is half a bar at the end

Here's a image

drum pattern.png

Probably me being an idiot but how can I get this to fit without adding any extra beats?

Tempo - 160
Signature - 4/4

Thanks for any answer

You're having that problem because you're only using 2 and a half of your 4 bars. So changing the time signature would be necessary in this case unless you can loop the clip from that point, which would technically change the time signature without you having to know which one to change to. I'm not very good with time signature so I couldn't tell you which one would fit. Try em out, until it starts to loop where you want it to.

Also why on earth is your bars divided into 3 like that? That looks to me like your time signature is actually 3/4, and not 4/4.

Last edited:
I see what you've done.

You've written a 4/4 drum pattern in a 3/2 time signature.

4 bars of 4/4 is 16 crotchets.
2.5 bars of 3/2 (3 minim beats per bar) is also 16 crotchets, so the amount of time is right but the repeats are wrong. I'm guessing when you turn the metronome on, it sounds out of time?

Start again with the time signature set to 4/4.

Last edited:
That was exactly the issue scrapheaper, I don't know how I could not see that, strange though cause my project general settings is set to 4/4.

Cheers for the help to both of you.

It is isn't it... amazing how many tracks use the standard dnb or house pattern.

Mind you, this guy has been slightly creative because he's put the second kick one quaver before the third beat of the bar, rather than one beat after. :D

I like the typical beats though. They're simple and elegant. Anything more complicated kinda messes with the purpose of drums: to define the beat.

It is isn't it... amazing how many tracks use the standard dnb or house pattern.

Mind you, this guy has been slightly creative because he's put the second kick one quaver before the third beat of the bar, rather than one beat after. :D

I like the typical beats though. They're simple and elegant. Anything more complicated kinda messes with the purpose of drums: to define the beat.

when he said the track is at 160bpm, and I saw the "amen" pattern there, I could clearly define it as dnb. and I agree with you, drums must complement the rest of the track. Although I must admit that more complex drum patterns can give the track it's identity as well.

maybe I am making mistakes in interpreting what he has written but I do not see anything typical dnb or house or whatever

In fact in grid form I get this

1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&
CrashX
HatsXXXXXX
SnareXXXX
KickXXXX

sounds like this

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/lukeSan-01.mp3[/mp3]

and looks like this

lukeSan-01.png

which looks nothing like the amen break

but does resemble the 3 part of 3-2 clave or cinquillo, which is a typical Samba pattern

Last edited:
maybe I am making mistakes in interpreting what he has written but I do not see anything typical dnb or house or whatever

In fact in grid form I get this

1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&
CrashX
HatsXXXXXX
SnareXXXX
KickXXXX

which looks nothing like the amen break

but does resemble the 3 part of 3-2 clave or cinquillo, which is a typical Samba pattern

The first hit may not be a kick, bc. Sometimes drum & bass breaks start with a snare, and then the amen break pattern follows.

still doesn't follow any which way we rearrange the drum pattern above

the amen break is based on the 3 part of the 3-2 clave so assuming that the first hit is not on the beat but that the second hit is would result in something like this

1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&
CrashX
HatsXXXXXX
SnareXXXX
KickXXXX

very different and sounds more like this

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/lukeSan-02.mp3[/mp3]

and looks like this

lukeSan-02.png

still doesn't follow any which way we rearrange the drum pattern above

the amen break is based on the 3 part of the 3-2 clave so assuming that the first hit is not on the beat but that the second hit is would result in something like this

1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&
CrashX
HatsXXXXXX
SnareXXXX
KickXXXX

very different and sounds more like this

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/lukeSan-02.mp3[/mp3]

and looks like this

lukeSan-02.png

I'm taking into consideration the picture the OP provided us, and, as there's no label on what is what in the pic, I'm just assuming the bottom line notes are the snare, and the notes on the line up them are the kick. Looking this way, we have a variation of the basic kick-snare pattern of the amen break.

My guess is the bottom line is the kick, now I just wait patiently for OP to reveal the mystery. :)

Oh yeah... I read that one really wrongly. I was expecting it to be the standard dnb beat so my eyes decieved me.

I think it is the standard dnb beat, but only if the bottom line is the snare and the pattern starts on beat 2.
2&3&4&1&2&3&4&1&
CrashX
HatsXXXXXX
KickXXXX
SnareXXXX

Last edited by a moderator:
you were missing empty cells and you had headings in the wrong spot

plus I learnt something along the way

to get a normal display table I need to us the tag [table="class: cms_table_grid"]

which allows normal th tags to display properly as well

Back