Super Gritty + Dark Bassline ?

Czarkasm

Hello

How would I go about getting this really gritty, almost growl-like bassline that plays from the start of this song. I know it's using a vocoder but i'm not too worried about that unless it's essential to the sound (which i don't believe it is)

I am using FL 11. If you know some VSTs that have similar presets or would be exceptionally good for creating this type of up front in your face, yet growling bass I would appreciate it also. Thanks

Yep he is using a vocoder and a bass synth as a carrier. To do this in Fl it is as simple as using 3 insert channels (effects slots). One panned all the way to the left, and that your vocals go through. The next slot panned all the way to the right, and that the bass goes through. The third slot you use fruity vocoder, and on the right of the plugin you adjust the sliders so that your vocals "modulate" the bass synth. There's lots of tutorials on this.

As far as the actual bass sound itself. A simple additive synthesizer that can produce low sine waves (for the sub bass) and maybe a triangle or saw wave for the mid frequency. Then it comes down to distortion which is what the artist probably spent more time on cause to achieve that gritty effect it's all just about tweaking with distortion plugins that either- clip, saturate, and crush the sound in some way.

Try using tri-dirt. It's a free 3 band distortion software alternative to Ohmicide if you ain't got the cash. I use it, and it works just as good. A splendid vst.

*edit: I listened to it again and maybe thinking I was wrong about the additive synthesizer. Try using a FM synthesizer and fruity sytrus is perfect for that. The main thing is to at least have a very nice -2 octave sine wave for your sub bass. I dunno. Just experiment. BUT distortion is defenitely doing most of the work to create that sound!

Last edited:
Yep he is using a vocoder and a bass synth as a carrier. To do this in Fl it is as simple as using 3 insert channels (effects slots). One panned all the way to the left, and that your vocals go through. The next slot panned all the way to the right, and that the bass goes through. The third slot you use fruity vocoder, and on the right of the plugin you adjust the sliders so that your vocals "modulate" the bass synth. There's lots of tutorials on this.

As far as the actual bass sound itself. A simple additive synthesizer that can produce low sine waves (for the sub bass) and maybe a triangle or saw wave for the mid frequency. Then it comes down to distortion which is what the artist probably spent more time on cause to achieve that gritty effect it's all just about tweaking with distortion plugins that either- clip, saturate, and crush the sound in some way.

Try using tri-dirt. It's a free 3 band distortion software alternative to Ohmicide if you ain't got the cash. I use it, and it works just as good. A splendid vst.

*edit: I listened to it again and maybe thinking I was wrong about the additive synthesizer. Try using a FM synthesizer and fruity sytrus is perfect for that. The main thing is to at least have a very nice -2 octave sine wave for your sub bass. I dunno. Just experiment. BUT distortion is defenitely doing most of the work to create that sound!

Been experimenting with tri-dirt and distorting some synth basses thanks to your advice and I have been able to get some cool pretty similar sounds

Back