subtractive synthesis

I used that before & I played around with it

I took Technologoical Studies (I'm NOCTI-certified) all through high school so it was all kind of familiar about the different waveforms & using oscillators, but I just had to find out how it applied to controlling sound as opposed to displaying a voltage, current, resitance,...

85maestro said:
I took Technologoical Studies (I'm NOCTI-certified) all through high school so it was all kind of familiar about the different waveforms & using oscillators, but I just had to find out how it applied to controlling sound as opposed to displaying a voltage, current, resitance,...

Maybe you should consider a real analog then, to which those terms actually apply (and not just virtually).

I actually thought about that, & when you say that, are you including this like the analog synths Just Blaze reviewed in the latest scratch, or the older truly analog vintage synths?

85maestro said:
so that would be stuff like Moogs? what are some other good ones?
The best buy for your money would be a Yamaha EX5. Nope, it's *not* an analog, and a lot of analog purests would fight me on this to the death, but the EX5 has many waveforms, including Sine, Square, Triangle and Noise (and a ton more). 3 envelopes (that are 5+1/2 stage), two dynamic filters (HP,LP,BP and Notch), 2 LFO's. per voice.
And 126 note polyphony. Try that on your typical analog. You can layer up to 4 voices (bringing the polyphony down to 32, of course).
Yes it got built in effects, and it's got an FDSP mode (FM, Ring mod, Water, Guitar pickup emulator etc.) with programmable parameters.
Not to mention that it has a 2 voice analog emulation engine and a 1 voice physical modeling engine.
You can pick one up for about $700 or less, if you're careful.
Just a suggestion, of course ... ;-)
-Mike
Er, did I mention it also samples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back