Studying pro tracks in your DAW

Trip Lykely

So I've been at this a few months (maybe 6?) and feel like I've got a good handle on my DAW (FL) and can make some interesting sounds but with zero musical background my arrangements and overall progression aren't where they need to be. Luckily I've got a couple much more experienced producers mentoring me a bit and they recommended loading tracks I like into my DAW and studying them. Loaded up a track last night and wow, wish this was the first thing I ever did.

My question is, for those of you who have/do this, what is your study process like? I'm assuming you start in broad strokes - identify intro, build, verse, etc. then break down those sections as to what you're hearing. Any feedback on how to best study a track would be appreciated. Its a little intense as I get down to some pretty crazy music from some very skilled producers but I already can tell it will be well worth it. And probably the only way I will ever be able to do what I want with my music

It's always great to listen to music with an ultra intense sensitivity. I think it can be very helpful to look at the waveform for big structural things like the form or shape of the track (verse, chorus, buildup). If I want to expand my abilities in terms of picking chords and progressions then looking at the waveform in a DAW won't help so much. Tutorials online or score reading can help with that. That being said, the track in your profile definitely has a shape and some interesting(good) formal decisions. As you move away from some of the samples and start making your own harmonies you should check out basic music theory vids on YouTube. Cheers!

Chords and progressions are definitely difficult for me to pick up just by listening to something due to lack of background in music. Tutorials are definitely my go to for that. The arrangement and structure is what I'm paying most attention to but plan and diving into sound design a bit with it too. I loop 8-bars or 4-bars over and over taking notes on things and then make my own version of it. Its been an interesting practice so far. Not sure how long I will abstain from making an original but I plan on studying and recreating a few tracks first.

Thanks for checking out my track. Moving away from some of the samples, or my reliance on them, is definitely my goal. Because I lack any background in music I've leaned on guitar riffs and such for musicality but now I have a better grasp on a lot of various aspects of music and know my weaknesses (I think haha). Like all things its easy to get in a comfort zone which I have and feel the need to push out of it. Really want to challenge myself on my next project and I've got a lot to learn first.

Really dig the highend detail in Smokkr. There's some things you did in that track I'd like to be able to replicate.

Thanks for checking out Smokkr and your feedback!

So I take it you do play guitar so you definitely have a bit of musical experience(which is obvious from the music!) just not necessarily the theoretical side. That's great and although you'll want to expand and learn more as you go just that ability to play guitar will help so much in deciding musical ideas. Having the body involved in music making is so important!

Back