Studying music theory

GWNL

Has any of you guys had previous experience in music theory prior to producing? Or have you self-taught yourself to produce whatever just sounds good?

Has any of you guys had previous experience in music theory prior to producing? Or have you self-taught yourself to produce whatever just sounds good?
I started learning to make beats before I began learning theory.
I did study a bit of piano when I was in highschool, but never took it seriously until I got older.
I only began learning theory (through studying piano and guitar) because I was dissatisfied with the music I was making. I was having serious trouble reconciling the music in my head with the music I was making, and like alot of beatmakers, I wanted that "jazzy feel" to my beats but did not understand what that actually meant. So, I decided to take music lessons to develop a level of musicality that would allow me to express myself the way I wanted to through my music. That was the best decision I ever made.

You don't need theory to make music, but understanding it can help you achieve the results you want alot faster and even take you in directions you would never have discovered by *just* relying on your ears.

That isn't to say its either or (music theory or "using my ears). In order to learn and understand theory (and music), you have to use your ears, regardless. So, when some says its either/or they're being retarded and should not be listened to.

Also, music theory is not "rules", but guidelines for how music concepts are achieved-not "rules". When I go to the theory subforum of jazzguitar.be, you never hear anyone talking about rules unless they're speaking about voice-leading...and only then it is presumed you know a healthy amount of theory to even be having that discussion in the first place. So when someone starts talking to you about theory as "rules".....they're being retarded and should not be listened to. Theory is just the basic building blocks of music (like, to make a C Maj triad, you would use the notes C, E, G. There is no rule that says you can't use other notes and call it a C Maj triad, but you better have a rock-solid justification for why).

Also, learn an instrument, and learn songs.

Last edited:
I have a similar story to Pumpthrust. Began making beats when I was pretty young and didn't follow up on learning theory until I was older. It sure does make the creative process quicker and easier, if nothing else.

Also, now that I am sober (for now), you only need to know the basics for what you want to accomplish. Most beatmakers considering learning theory only really need to know the fundamentals (scales, chords, modes and harmonic function)
I'd start with:
-Note names
-Major and minor scales
-Play scales to your favorite rnb/hip hop tracks(ones that have samples always work for this exercise) to train yourself to hear key centers and play melodies by ear
-minor pentatonic and blues scale (no one really uses the major pentatonic)
-chords (triads, 7th chords, and 9th chords)
-Youtube up some gospel and neo-soul tutorials

I had been playing piano for a long time before I moved to electronic music.

I didn't learn much theory apart from how to read sheet music, key signatures and major and minor scales. Technically I learned all the major and minor chords as well because I had to learn arpeggios.

I learned most theory through music GCSE and learning to do improvise jazz, which was sort of happening at the same time as I was starting with electronic stuff.

Back