Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: struggling to vary my beats

Thanks

struggling to vary my beats

Sign in to disable this ad
    Usually I can create one or two melodies and have them alternate smoothly, but the transitions are boring and it's still not diverse enough for my liking... Advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    listening to a lot of new music is important. it sounds too simple but you'll be surprised how much other music can influence your own. if you ever hit a block, find some new music, you might get some new ideas from it.

v

Thanks
    You know how music scales work, right?
    If no, that will help.
    If you already know that then try writing melody to chords:
    Have a chord progression and write a melody to it, then c/p the chords and write a new melody to it.
    You can later change or remove the chords.
    Or just listen to your current melody and near the end, pause it and try to imagine what could come next. Then create from your imagination.
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jimherb View Post
    Usually I can create one or two melodies and have them alternate smoothly, but the transitions are boring and it's still not diverse enough for my liking... Advice would be much appreciated.
    u should see what other people think to make sure u are not bein to hard on yourself also i have a track called daze below i didnt think was nothing special but people love that beat 4 some reason

Thanks
    yeah i know scales, should really use them more. thanks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HEADCUTTA View Post
    u should see what other people think to make sure u are not bein to hard on yourself also i have a track called daze below i didnt think was nothing special but people love that beat 4 some reason
    my soundcloud is /fieldofherb if you wanna offer feedback

Thanks
    Hi,

When I am not inspired on a beat, I do not insistate.
    -Sometime I start a new one. Thus I have a lot of unfinished beats on my computer, and sometimes I listen to all of them and it may give me inspiration to continue one of them.
    -Sometime I try to improve my overall "level" in music : learning new mixing techniques, using new VST's, watching videos of beatmakers or even learn to play better piano, and it can give me inspiration too.
    -Sometime I just stop (could be for a long period)

Thanks
    Im the same way brother. Lots of unfinished beats. Make it your goal to finish them, but dont consider them done just because they are finished.

Thanks
    Find a song of the same genre you're trying to make and see how they do they're transitions and variations in their melodies. We as musicians tend to overcomplicate the process of making something sound good. Even if you use the same melody twice back to back, you can have that second melody be an octave higher, or layered with something else.

Thanks
    Think about making your base loop or chord progression longer. 4 bar chord progressions get old a lot faster than 8 or 16 bar chord progressions. Just double the length of all your chords and go from there.

Thread Information