Is this strings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me it sounds more percussive. Almost like pitched drum sound, also heavily saturated with reverb.

You could try a very high pizzicato string or even an electric guitar as a starting point, but no I don't think it's actually a string sound at its base; it is layered, synthy, there is percussion, it also sounds like there might be some glock or high vibraphone notes and maybe a kalimba. But the main synth probably has some type of envelope, no sustain or decay, and the entire thing is soaked in reverb. It might even be combined with a track that is just the reverb return with no original signal. You are not dealing with a single sound there.

GJ

You could try a very high pizzicato string or even an electric guitar as a starting point, but no I don't think it's actually a string sound at its base; it is layered, synthy, there is percussion, it also sounds like there might be some glock or high vibraphone notes and maybe a kalimba. But the main synth probably has some type of envelope, no sustain or decay, and the entire thing is soaked in reverb. It might even be combined with a track that is just the reverb return with no original signal. You are not dealing with a single sound there.

GJ

So is this sound hard to create? Won't a sample or kontakt have any sort of sound like this?

Sometimes the fun of doing this stuff is not reaching for a "just add water" solution.

GJ

Try making it, instead of looking for a link to a sample of the exact sound. You will really only learn by trying to use your ears to hear what's there, to tell your brain what your fingers need to do with the synth and the mixer.

Try it. If it doesn't work, try it again. Keep working at it.

GJ

-

Try making it, instead of looking for a link to a sample of the exact sound. You will really only learn by trying to use your ears to hear what's there, to tell your brain what your fingers need to do with the synth and the mixer.

Try it. If it doesn't work, try it again. Keep working at it.

GJ

But what should i work on first? Percussion? Synth?

I would start with a "plucky" (single, not ensemble) string sound (since that is what you are hearing), and then start to play with ADSR parameters. You could also try a relatively clean, picked electric guitar sound. Also find the register it sounds best in for this application; some sounds will sound radically different in different octave ranges. It's very percussive, so once you trim it down with your ADSR edits, you could try applying varying types and amounts of reverb and see where you are. If it's pretty close, try layering your metal sounds (I have suggested trying vibes, glockenspiel, and/or kalimba, but try different things to see what you think is best). You could even try something "woody," like a marimba or xylophone. Mix to taste, add/subtract reverb, lather, rinse, repeat. Make sure that you have the sound you are attempting to emulate cued-up so that you can "A-B" (go back and forth between the original and your attempt) to stay on course.

This is your mission, Mr. Phelps. As always, if you or any of your team are caught or killed, FP will deny and disavow any connection with you. This message will self-destruct in 5 sec....

GJ

I would start with a "plucky" (single, not ensemble) string sound (since that is what you are hearing), and then start to play with ADSR parameters. You could also try a relatively clean, picked electric guitar sound. Also find the register it sounds best in for this application; some sounds will sound radically different in different octave ranges. It's very percussive, so once you trim it down with your ADSR edits, you could try applying varying types and amounts of reverb and see where you are. If it's pretty close, try layering your metal sounds (I have suggested trying vibes, glockenspiel, and/or kalimba, but try different things to see what you think is best). You could even try something "woody," like a marimba or xylophone. Mix to taste, add/subtract reverb, lather, rinse, repeat. Make sure that you have the sound you are attempting to emulate cued-up so that you can "A-B" (go back and forth between the original and your attempt) to stay on course.

This is your mission, Mr. Phelps. As always, if you or any of your team are caught or killed, FP will deny and disavow any connection with you. This message will self-destruct in 5 sec....

GJ

Wow! Okay okay.. so do i need kontakt for this? As well.. The plucky sound gets higher after the first intro part, and has another sound with it, is that part of the sound or they two different sounds?

I believe you are dealing with a multi-layered sound. But now it's time for you to get to work!

GJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back