String Stabs

SIR-T

Basically i want to know what chord dr. dre and scott storch use for there string stabs that come in like every 4 bars in songs like, how we do,lean back, clap back and so on.

Ive tryed quite alot of different chords like major, minor, aug, but cant find the chord that matches it.

If you do know can you also leave the notes that make up the chord, thankyou.

Minor works the best i think

but i also depends on the sound you have

Sorry for the noob question, but what is Storch modulating with the wheel in that video? Pitch?

That video was interesting, because it really showed the simplicity of his beats. Also, I never knew the pitch wheel really added so much. I think what make his string hits sound so good are firstly the quality of the string sample, and, secondly, the correct doubling of base notes in the chord (to make the chord sound really full and deep).

Last edited by a moderator:
i still dont get fully how that sound is done.... do you think they layer there strings to get that deep feeling

It's done in the mixing phase, my guess that it's all stock sounds on the motif or the 5080...

they can be doena few ways...

the chord doesnt matter really, they can be done in any note.

take E for example, just hit all of the E key's across 4 octaves.

Make sure the attack is set to fast and that its a short string hit, try some spicatto strings.

add a full chord instead of one key if you want it to be fuller.

Back