string arrangements

gmixstudios

I am looking to learn some string arrangements to make my sounds full and dramatic I know bits and bobs on the keys but wanted some hints on where to go, I dont want too much to read etc, something pratical please:cheers:

This question doesn't have an answer. At least not the one you're looking for. But here's a hint on where to go - chord house. Just google it, you'll find the site. Once there, determine what key your song is in, take a look at the notes corresponding to that key, and play some strings with those notes. Build chords (more notes, bigger sound), melodys, mess with the sustain and release, add effects, etc. If you're playing in the right key and experiment enough, I'm sure you will come up with something suitable. THEORY. Learn it.

Sorry for jackin' this thread, but I gotta perform heart surgery tomorrow morning. Anybody know where I can learn about it real quick without too much boring reading? Thanks in advance.

Darko said:
Sorry for jackin' this thread, but I gotta perform heart surgery tomorrow morning. Anybody know where I can learn about it real quick without too much boring reading? Thanks in advance.

Hey, I think there is a website for that:

http://www.abc.net.au/science/lcs/swf/heart.swf

Its a nice flash movie so you dont have to read anything or know anything about it. Just follow the pictures and you will be fine. :cheers:

Listen to music with examples of what you are trying to achieve. How can you emulate what you don't know.

Garritan's orchestration lessons is an excellent starting place. Yes, there's lots of reading involved but there's lots of stuff to learn as well. If you already have a grip on what different parts of a string section do and how they compliment each other, you might just dive in and experiment with different things. That's what I've been doing.

the best tip i can give, is learn your scales, its that simple, you hear evryone say it, over and over, learn therory, i played trumpet for 16 yrs,so it was kinda embeded in my blood, but for those less fortunate, learning theory is key, you will even turn out more tracks, since you will undrstand whats going on,

ha, i chekecd it out krushing, nice link, always droppin good knowledge

krushing said:
Garritan's orchestration lessons is an excellent starting place. Yes, there's lots of reading involved but there's lots of stuff to learn as well. If you already have a grip on what different parts of a string section do and how they compliment each other, you might just dive in and experiment with different things. That's what I've been doing.
thanks for the link:cheers:

Last edited:
Darko said:

PMSL
:cheers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHntDDOQzk8

cheers all and thanks for the laughs LOL

Tide said:
This question doesn't have an answer. At least not the one you're looking for. But here's a hint on where to go - chord house. Just google it, you'll find the site. Once there, determine what key your song is in, take a look at the notes corresponding to that key, and play some strings with those notes. Build chords (more notes, bigger sound), melodys, mess with the sustain and release, add effects, etc. If you're playing in the right key and experiment enough, I'm sure you will come up with something suitable. THEORY. Learn it.

do u mean this page mate/ http://www.looknohands.com/chordhouse/piano/

Last edited:
Back