Stretching drum effects

audiophilenz

Hi guys

I've been trying to create an effect I love, where drum loops or samples are stretched in beautifully distorted ways.
This has been difficult to google as everyone wants to know how to stretch them without distortion.

The best example I have (and what made me fall in love with the sound/effect in the first place) is the first two minutes of "Drove Through Ghosts To Get Here" by 65daysofstatic. (youtube Link: watch?v=AAZEcg8NLtM ). There are several drum samples in this that have this kind of effect and are layered very nicely.

Any advice on achieving this kind of drums sound with maximum personalisation would be awesome. So far I've been using crisp and clear drums, looking to expand into really messing with them. I use Ableton, so any plugins/vsts you can recommend would be rad, I don't mind forking out a bit of cash for a good one. Also if there's any Ableton native effects I've missed that can do this nicely, I would appreciate a point in their direction.

Nice forum, by the way. Been lurking here a while, felt I should sign up.

Cheers, -Tom

Just sounds like BPM automation to me for the most part and programming the patterns how you want them already. I dont use ableton so not sure how hard it would be to emulate there but its not something that would be too tough to do in FL Studio.

That's not quite the part I meant, I'll be more specific.

Where an actual snare hit, hi-hat or crash has been stretched to the point where it has a really low-fi and choppy sound, but in a seemingly controlled way. The end result is almost a stuttered version of the original drum hit, much longer and slower, and sounds awesome. That song has used entire drum loops (that I'm sure they recorded themselves) then have stretched them out to sound badass. I can think of ways to stretch a loop like this, but DAWs seem to want to automatically fix for the loss of quality when stretching them out. Whereas I intentionally want it to sound stretched and gritty, and control this effect as much as possible.

The bpm automation you are talking about is definitely there in that song (and is also awesome), and is easily achievable with Ableton, but it's not what I was referring to. Thanks though.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
try pitchshifting, or timestretching using a crappy sounding Algorithmn then a plugin like d16 group decimort

Back