stormdrum and rare instruments

2nice

stormdrum and rare instruments....

anyone used these programs? can u let me know how good they are? for instance, how is the sound quality? how is the range of sounds (and are they best for use with a particular type of sound)? and how is the sequencing?

are there any films where these have been used for the scoring?

Storm drum is beyond words, honestly it seems that whatever East and West do it is just kick ass! Full sounds, tons of incredible samples. It comes with everything you can think of and is awesome for film scoring(percussion)I can't recommend it more. Rare Instruments has the best samples of those instruments, taiko drum, Chinese Violin Erhu etc...but if I was to choose I would go with Storm drum. Storm durm is 400 bucks but more then worth it. Get the demo cd you get on East West it comes with a demo of Storm Drum hits that you can use in your production.

sounds dope.... is there a difference between the types of sounds in storm drum and rare instruments? my shallow understanding is that storm drum is percussion while rare instruments is non-percussive, is that true?

and btw.... is stormdrum a vst or dx plugin, or its own program? can i somehow integrate it with protools?

2nice said:

are there any films where these have been used for the scoring?

Stormdrum was used on The Last Samurai and Van Helsing for sure. The new Batman movie supposedly uses hits from Stormdrum as well.

OsamaPigLatin said:

Stormdrum was used on The Last Samurai and Van Helsing for sure.

I don't know if Stormdrum was used in Van Helsing (I haven't heard the s/t)... but with regard to "The Last Samurai", that movie came out in 2003 and Stormdrum came out in 2004.

It came out to the public in 2004. They might have been testers for it or something to see how it would sound and stuff.

not to sure how many films strom drum is used in(by the way you can create the same effect with reverb detuning octave lowering etc) but I do know SD has been used on contless trailers.
Really the one that is being used a ton now is RA get Storm Drums and RA and you are totally set for Ethnic, through in World Winds and you pretty much have it all^_*

krames12 said:
It came out to the public in 2004. They might have been testers for it or something to see how it would sound and stuff.

Yup...I read about this a while back on another website. Nick Phoenix, the producer of Stormdrum said it himself.

Just check out SoundsOnline.com for demo's of both products ... those 2 libraries are worth the $$$. They have incredible sound-quality and so many variations.

Back