statistics concerning the number of chords used in songs?

ceolchara

Just a few things I've been wondering about. I'm just curious if anyone has ever come across any statistics concerning the number of chords used in top 40 songs:

1. What is the greatest number of chords that any top 10 or top 40 hit song has ever used?

2. Has any top 10 hit ever used less than 3 chords (it would probably have to be a novelty song)?

3. What's the mean (average) number of chords used in top 40/top 10/number one songs?

If anybody knows of any statistics regarding the use of chords by successful pop bands, I'd also be interested in seeing them.

curious ceolchara

Without taking the time to do actual research on this (would require far more access to sheet music than I possess), here are some possible answers...

1. What is the greatest number of chords that any top 10 or top 40 hit song has ever used?

How far back do you want to go in top 40? Going back to "Africa" by Toto (early 80's), you'll find probably a dozen or so. "Color My World" by Chicago (70's) uses 16 or more. Depending on high they charted, some Yes or ELP songs from the 70's may have used more. It's possible some more jazzy material from the 40's or 50's uses more. Oooh, if medleys count, try "Hooked on Classics", you might even break a hundred in that piece.

2. Has any top 10 hit ever used less than 3 chords (it would probably have to be a novelty song)?

"Bittersweet Symphony" uses the same pattern over and over, choruses and verses (might be two chords, judging by what I remember ofthe intro synth part, but would have to check the sheet music to be sure). "More Human Than Human" by White Zombie only uses one (dropped D or Db). It could be argued that "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin only uses one (but it's realistically more like two or maybe even three). I know the song, "The Ballad of One Chord" by Mojo Nixon actually uses Two, not that it ever charted. You might even find a solo acapella work that uses none, technically (Tom's Diner, by Suzanne Vega?).

3. What's the mean (average) number of chords used in top 40/top 10/number one songs?

At a rough guess, I suspect you'd find the median to be in the neighborhood of four to six. I,IV,V, obviously, a IIm for extra flavour in the ballads, and some 7th chords for turnarounds.

Leaving aside all nitpicking about what constitutes a "chord" for the purposes of counting, of course.

Are you trying to crack the formula for pop success?

"Are you trying to crack the formula for pop success?"

Nah, nothing like that. :) Just curious.

Belated thanks, anyway, for the info, geedubbee.

When the World is Running Down by The Police consists of a single riff with three chords. And it's one of the best songs I've ever heard. One of the few times where repetition abuse actually works and works well.

First of all, never write songs to try and make a chart hit....

Leave that to the people with less talent than you.

The number of chords in a song is totally up to you and not a single person can tell you to only use three chords in a song.

There is a rule of thumb that by using only the Primary Triads (chords 1,4 and 5) you can only sustain this for about 3 mins before ppl get bored and switch off listening.

You can use the Secondary Triads to good use (chords 2,3,6 and 7)

What I would suggest to you, as an artist talking to another artist, is let your creative juices flow. If there is any aspect of modern songs that lack anything - it is undoubtly the harmony, it's boring and very predicable.

There are lots of nice colours you can make by using Modal Harmony and even Chromatic Harmony, which can carry a song far longer and project a stronger message than basic [C, G, C, F, G, G7, C] Type chord progressions.

If this is all anybody can come up with after 2000 years of musical evolution, then by christ it's a sorry state of affairs.

Here's a few of my own chord progressions to get you started:

1) [Em, Cmaj7, Am9, Fmaj7]

2) [Bbmaj7, Fmaj7(#11), Cadd9, Dm7(9)]

Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
James McFadyen, I am curious to listen some of your work if you dont mind, especially for the second chord progression you just posted BbMaj7, FMaj7(#11), Cadd9, Dmin7(9)

Thnx
Peace

I don't know about stats but I'd say 3-4 chords would be the norm. Remember, it's the simple songs that make the charts.

The above chord progressions are not from my own music....

But they are in my own style, in the way I construct my harmony, by using nice magical harmonies from the Modal System.

But, hey,,,,I might just use them chord progs to make a song.....just maybe ;)

By the way, chord progressions are copyrighted, so feel free to steal them, just bear in mind tho that having ur own style is what the game is all about, so stealing chord progs isn't helping that really, but by all means use the two chord progs above if you wish and see what you can make out of them.

so which mode does the second progressions represent???
I am just curious because it sounds cool...
do you know any songs that use the second progression?

Peace

"First of all, never write songs to try and make a chart hit...."

God forbid! If that were my intention, I'd write lyrics in English (rather than in minority languages). Really, my question was purely out of curiosity and to certain extent, coming from the perspective that that you should have a good understanding of the conventions in order to be able to subvert them (most) effectively.
The only chart I might conceivably have a chance of making would probably be a world music chart.

"You can use the Secondary Triads to good use (chords 2,3,6 and 7)."

I make a point of using them, reversing the polarity of chords 2, 3, and 6 occasionally, and flatt(en)ing chord 7 and occasionally chords 3 and 6.

"What I would suggest to you, as an artist talking to another artist, is let your creative juices flow. If there is any aspect of modern songs that lack anything - it is undoubtly the harmony, it's boring and very predictable."

My own sentiments, to a certain extent.

"There are lots of nice colours you can make by using Modal Harmony and even Chromatic Harmony, which can carry a song far longer and project a stronger message than basic [C, G, C, F, G, G7, C] Type chord progressions."

I play around with various modes in my melodies, especially the Lydian, Mixolydian, Dorian, (and occasionally Phrygian and Locrian) modes.

"Here's a few of my own chord progressions to get you started:

1) [Em, Cmaj7, Am9, Fmaj7]

2) [Bbmaj7, Fmaj7(#11), Cadd9, Dm7(9)]"

These look interesting and not altogether unlike some of my own progressions (I like to use the jazzy maj7 (9/11, etc.) chords especially for a mellow Latin/bossa nova-like flavour).

"By the way, chord progressions are copyrighted, so feel free to steal them, just bear in mind tho that having ur own style is what the game is all about, so stealing chord progs isn't helping that really, but by all means use the two chord progs above if you wish and see what you can make out of them."

James, I'm sure you meant to say was that chord progressions are NOT copyrighted. I see nothing wrong with using a chord progression that has already been used by someone else, especially if your end product sounds radically different (especially in terms of rhythm and instrumentation, etc.) to the music in which the chord progression was originally used.

Nothing to do with music, James, but I'd take an educated guess from your surname that you've got a Donegal connection. It's interesting that you spell it with a 'y' to express the slenderised/palatal quality of the 'd' in the authentic Gaelic pronunciation (but maybe that's the normal spelling in Scotland?). In Ireland it's generally anglicised as McFadden.

"so which mode does the second progressions represent???
I am just curious because it sounds cool..."

If I'm not mistaken, Parakalo, the second chord progression is built from the C dominant bebop scale. I think I may have a go at using this progression as well.

Back