Static on purpose as part of the instrument or efx???

mwandishi

I been wondering what this is or how it's done for a while? Christian Scott did it on his last album (jazz) and he does't it on a few tracks with his recent project. Not sure if this a mixing effect are part of an instrument? Thoughts?
Here's a track from his last album:

And this is from his recent album ( no youtube or full song link).
iTunes - Music - Christian aTunde Adjuah by Christian Scott

comes across as a deliberate choice - it sounds like distortion and related clipping, probably on a separate parallel fx channel......

I know that the vst i use to get static on my tracks is izotope vinyl which is actually free

thanks for picking this song, i had no clue that this is where the crs (pharrell lupe kanye) sample came from

The sound is being triggered by the piano and the mechanical nature of the delay is most likely caused by something making contact with the strings, so my guess is there is a sheet of paper or something touching the strings producing what sounds like static.

So what you need to do is open a piano VST and then take a blank page from the Windows notepad and place it over the piano's virtual strings.:p

---------- Post added 10-18-2012 at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-17-2012 at 12:33 PM ----------

This is the kind of thing I am talking about.

its a piece of paper on the strings. if you look somewhere on this forum its actually a guy that does some weird/amazing stuff with a piano and some guy in the comments brought up "The Eraser"

Back