Starting out with production

jeungblut

How would you recommend I start. By reading about music theory e.g. synthesis etc. before even starting to look at a DAW or get to grips with a DAW and start trying to make a beat etc. first?

What i did was download a demo of a DAW, a few different ones to see which one suited me best. And just played around on them for ages just trying out different things to see what they did, eventually got a decent understanding of everything and started trying to make beats. I didn't learn any music theory for a while and made a few tracks (albeit bad ones haa) with hardly any knowledge of the theory, but once i started learning the basics my music got alot better. So if i were you i would get a demo, start getting to grips with the programs while also learning a bit of theory and if its something you think you want to do buy the DAW you prefer and just keep practicing.

What i did was download a demo of a DAW, a few different ones to see which one suited me best. And just played around on them for ages just trying out different things to see what they did, eventually got a decent understanding of everything and started trying to make beats. I didn't learn any music theory for a while and made a few tracks (albeit bad ones haa) with hardly any knowledge of the theory, but once i started learning the basics my music got alot better. So if i were you i would get a demo, start getting to grips with the programs while also learning a bit of theory and if its something you think you want to do buy the DAW you prefer and just keep practicing.

Agreed, I pretty much did the same thing.

How would you recommend I start. By reading about music theory e.g. synthesis etc. before even starting to look at a DAW or get to grips with a DAW and start trying to make a beat etc. first?

Music Production is a never ending life long learning journey lol, pretty much like Life. You're never gonna stop learning. So puttin your knowledge of your DAW on hold doesn't benefit you at all. You can read as much on swimmin if you want, but if you don't dive in....

Back