Starting to make beats--question about the tools

monikker

whatz up, i'm new posting on here, but i've been reading you guys' advice for some time now and i was hoping you could help me out.
I'm trying to start making my own tracks, hip hop mainly but i dig jungle and dance too. Right now all I've got is my computer, cubasis, and a korg trinity keyboard. I downloaded a demo of fruity loops (mainly cause it's cheap) and i like making beats with the step sequencer more often than banging the notes out on my keyboard keys.
What advice on a sampler can you give me for my goals cause i would like to sample my records and cds to make my beats with. The cheaper the better right now. I was thinking of getting a Dr. Sample to start with. Is that compatible with a software step sequencer like fruityloops?
And advice at all would be helpful.
thanks

I wouldnt bother with the dr.sample, it sucks dick. It depends on what you want to sample, and how long you want the samples to be?

okay what then

I mainly want to use the sampler to sample drum loops break em into individual parts and use the kicks, snares etc. separately. Ideally Id like to use a kick from one song, a snare from another, a horn phrase from another record etc. Money is a factor, but not the only one. I don't mind dropping a few bills.

mmmm, it's alwayse ahrd to know where to draw the comprimise between money and quality. The are some good machiens in the £200-£300 price range. I recomend the yamaha su200. I had one for ages, and i loved it. Its really easy to use, and has loads of features. One of its most unique features, that you cant find on most other machiens, is the ribbon controller. Its a touch sensitive screen that gives you realtime control over your samples, so you can timestretch them, skratch them, etc. It's got loads of memory, but unfortunatly, i dont know of any expansion packs you can get for it (although there may be some that i don't know about). All the best.

alright

I was wondering then...
I know some of the higher end akai samplers have a function that chops up all the parts of the sample for you and you can simply highlight and choose which piece you want to resample. Are there any lower end samplers that do that type of thing? Does that yamaha one you mentioned do that? Also does anyone know how the korg es-1's timeslice function works?

i think one of the korg elecribes can slice samples, i'll look into it for you. I have an akia s2000, and it's sweet as, but it's a lot of money.

Back