Sounds like water....?

tommyd

I'm currently working on a variety of materials (music) for a local water company. I could use some opinions.

What instruments/sounds/frequencies remind you of water?

What instruments/sounds/frequencies remind you of the color blue?

THANK YOU in advance for any ideas you all might have. I really will appreciate your opinions.

plucking sounds , pianos , .. as for blue, atmospheric sounds often give me a blue or green

On Acid Pro they have some water sounding effects. And for blue, I'm creating a concept album about the acclimate and was just working/studying on what would bring up the imagery of blue, and I came up with whistle-like sounds, close to the sound of a bird, or like California said, atmospheric sounds would work perfectly. That just helped me with my project also... :D Thanks California!

I learned that since the sky is blue humans connect deepth to that color so pads should work fine if they sound natural.
As for the water something that reminds of a dripping tap....maybe plucked strings layerd with a hollow sounding rim with a nice reverb on it repeated monotonous. shakers could also be used as waves on shores...
that are my ideas :)

for water, some nice slow attack pads is soothing and relaxing, like a seashore, piano is real nice too (with a reverb with pretty long decay and some delay too) and those atmospheric sounds...
on the Triton studio theres some nice atmospheric sounds, also alot can be found on absynth 3, you should check it out

you can try keeping the drums low and wet, also try replacing the snares with tamborins (with lots of verb on it), you can find some nice free ones in orchestral battery soundfonts

edit: also a slow tempo would help i guess.
overall concept should be something subtle, relaxing, slow...
thats what i hear when i picture water...
hope this helped

Last edited:
i'm surprised nobody mentioned the "drip" sound, which can be achieved with a real quick filter sweep over a bass note.

Back