Sound Design & Song Improvising w/o Controller

DimensionX

My goal is to not press stop and make a song from scratch without a controller. Between init patches and desired sound, I design in a musical way as if it were a performance, similar to how a djing selects songs between songs except Im making the songs that im switching between. Another key is to let it repeat too long that it gets boring unless its catchy.

I basically start with an init patch in any synth and get a melody or chord progression in a short loop (for performing practice) and then match either or with either.

Then I make percussive sounds in a synth and start creating a rhythm.

Then I start sound designing (both in synth and post fx) and making rhythms until it gets too repetitive

The next part gets difficult to create the next loop especially so I somtimes just record the melody/chord progressions on the spot and tune waveforms but it starts to get repetitive after awhile (time to learn theory!). But of course this way you can do some waveform editing (still without pressing stop)

This is where I sometimes find my best sounds I mightn't have made in another way. This also is really good practice to get to know your tools so you can get your ideas out faster.

Im looking for any other ways I can make music on the fly as I get very bored of trying to go back to a song I created in a time and space I'm not present in anymore... Ideas/thoughts/feelings more than welcome!

I think you just described how everyone does it. I don't agree with any producer "finishing" a track that way though. You can have it composed/arranged/structured by the end of the jam, I hear you about the same headspace. But going back to EQ/compress/mix whatever it is IMO should always be done in sessions following the jam.

But get a controller dude, your improv will skyrocket

Back