Sound Design Session & Workflow....???

Chew_Bear

When doing sound design....

Should you delegate it to its "OWN" session / project...???

In other words.....you should not be doing any sound design.....while trying to create/finish an actual song while in composition/arrangement or mixing/mastering....Right....???

I mean...it just makes more sense to just treat sound design as a whole other "entity" that you can dedicate however many hours, days, weeks to.....Rather than trying to make a song and than jumping "in and out" of sound design while also trying to finish the song...right...???

Therefore...

1. How does this kind of workflow actually work...???

2. How do I come up with a idea for a sound design session....and than....How do I implement these new sounds/samples I just created from my sound design into a new song....???

Say....I dedicate a week to sound design...And in the end....I come up with 10 one shots, 3 loops and 3 presets.

3. How do you go about organizing and/or trying to figure out how you will likely use these new samples/presets/clips....???

4. Basically....it entails bouncing out whatever samples/sounds I make in the sound design session as 'one shots', patches or audio loops/clips...Right...??? That I than 'SAVE' into its own project/folder file for later use when I do have an idea for a song that might require using these samples/sounds...right....???

Is this the right workflow...?? Is there a better sound design workflow I don't know of (quicker, easier and more efficient)...???

HELP...?!?!?

(On a side note)....if you do reply....please 'list' out your idea/workflow for me like a 'grocery list' and therefore its easier for me to comprehend and follow.

Last edited:
You do what you want to do. There's no wrong and right here...but while it sometimes may be fruitful just to sit down and dedicate some time for building some new intricate patches and whatnot, I personally think it's pretty silly to try and completely separate sound design from the composition and mixing phase. Why wouldn't you make new sounds and/or change the existing ones when you're doing music? Don't over-categorize, make music instead.

Well there's methods.
Not doing that.
Doing that.
Doing that sometimes.

Doing everything during.
Doing both separately.

Most of the time I mangle samples and synths during the beatmaking process if not messing with the nexus.

Although that's because I use multiple daws.
For some reason I like to make reason the sound mangle center[if not messin with nexus]
studio one or fl studio to arrange stuff even though I know how to sequence exactly de same in reason also :P

Keeping the sounds in realtime midi or bouncing's preference. That is definitely preference based since when it comes to knob noisers, keeping a patch instead is so much more smo.

Basically simpflifying the hell out of anything you can, when you can.

I just start my projects and do the sound design in place when and where it's needed.

Sometimes I make 'practice projects' where i work on trying to make a sound but I don't really re-use them

Back