sound design question for massive and/or sylenth 1

M

M_B

I can work well with both, my sound design knowledge isn't to bad either,

but for some damn reason I cant for the life of me get a saxophone sound out of either one.

has any managed to do this ??

cheers

I'm thinking saxophone synthesis can only be achieved through additive, Fm or physical modeling synthesis.
Then there's soundfonts and sample libraries but there have been some vsts that were capable, like reaktor, zebra and parsec.

Although it might be possible to get something "brassy" with subtractive

cheers for the reply.

ive got reaktor but if im honest im a little sketchy with it aha.

ill give it reaktor a go, practice makes perfect I suppose :).

For me personally I would never try to recreate a saxophone using synthesis, as it would only sound digital and lifeless. I even know an audio example I could look up for you if you wan to hear what I mean, it sounds horrible.
Basically you're at the risk of sounding like an underpayed 60+ year old playing a simple Casio keyboard at some cheap bar in a tourist-ghetto by doing this. I'd rather try to find a sample, either by looking at different libraries or digging, or maybe even recording a take myself.

Real sounds are usually hard to synthesize, that's where romplayers come in, especially Saxaphones. Even a romplayer will sound quite bad, until you modulate it, lots of pitch bend. Sax players tend to bend like crazy, at least how I'm hearing it.

Last edited:
thanks for the reply guys, I've taken what you've said on board....and thinking about I completely agree now I've had think. real instrument like you say are near impossible to synthesize. think ill sample one from somewhere instead

cheers (Y)

Back