Sound Design Mediums and Audio Perspectives...???

Chew_Bear

Spent a bunch of hours this week practicing sound design.

How can you tell when you have a sound that "WORKS"...???

In other words....

What's makes a new sound 'good enough' for use in 'MUSIC'....VS....if its only good enough for say...Video Games/Movie Sound FX...???

More simply....

What's the difference between sound design for Music....VS....sound design for Movies, Games and other audio mediums that are non-music related...???

Because...imo...The sounds I keep making...only sound like sounds/FX stuff that you would put in movies/games and not necessarily something you can put in 'music'.

Is that just my perpective and maybe I just need to change it...???

Am I on the right path but I just need some more practice in order to get my sounds sounding like 'music' stuff and not game/movie stuff....???

Does it depend on the methods and techniques that you use....???

Made a pad the other day that had a 'eerie/spaced out' kind of vibe to it. I guess it might work in a 'trap' song. But in the end....I kept on getting images of spaceships/movies/games and other non-music stuff in my head. I was not getting any kind of 'music' images (girls twerking/dancing) in my head.

Help...?!?!?

Save all of them for future use in music.
They will eventually fit somewhere...or they won't.

You're asking a lot of questions that are open to opinion and you might get a different answer from each person.

I can relate to where you're at with your pursuit of sound design and being passionate about it. Just keep up what you're doing and maybe start working with a synthesizer that you are familiar with the design bass, pads, leads, etc. that you know is good for music. It's often a lot simpler than people think, and i do think that you are overthinking in this case.

Good luck.

Back