Sound Card for Laptop?

SignatureBeatz

I just got the new Sony Vaio FE-505 Laptop and I needed a good sound card that is compatable and is mainly used for audio(connect through USB). I know stock soundcards are usually never good enough. Anybody have any suggestions on what would be a great sound card to purchase? I'm trying to stay at $200 and below. Thanks in advance

The M-Audio Mobile Pre, The M-Audio 24/96USB(has midi), or the Tascam US-122, 224, or 428. Those will all work out for you jus check the specs and make sure it has everything u need.

I'm really happy with my EMU1616M. A bit above the price range you specified, but maybe there are cheaper cards in that line?

Andrew

the_rider said:
Why are u going usb and no by firewire ?? Firewire can send and receive a lot more informations than a usb 2.0

You are kind of off on this. This is the order of speed.

USB 1.0
Firewire
USB 2.0
Firewire 800

I'm pretty sure though that manufactures only make the interfaces with USB 1.0 and regular firewire so you are right that a firewire interface is usually faster.

Firewire = 400 Mbps
USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps

It's debateable which actually performs faster though. Those are the max speeds.

You have to think about it though.

USB 1.1 was created
Firewire 400 came next which was faster
USB 2.0 a little more fast
Firewire 800 even faster

People aren't going to manufacture a new product that is slower than something already out there. Like I said before though sometimes firewire does come out a little faster in performance tests against USB 2.0 but USB 2.0 is theoretically faster.

Back