This sound!!

Sosan

ok wtf... the restore auto saved content button did absolutely nothing, so now my post is not going to be aswell layed out....

How to get the filtered synth (sample maybe) sound from the verse of this song..:

s o u n d c l o u d . c o m / i s k e m e / r o l l

Another similar sound from J Dilla's Won't Do:

h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / e m b e d / v V Y z a 0 N i W u U

Another unrelated sound, kinda hard to explain but the only way eye can explain it is 80's melodic Michael Jackson kind of sound, only shows up during the chorus at the beginning of the bar (and like one note somewhere in the middle).. Underachievers - Aquinini:

h t t p s : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = l E q Z c t 7 r U U o

ok wtf... the restore auto saved content button did absolutely nothing, so now my post is not going to be aswell layed out....

How to get the filtered synth (sample maybe) sound from the verse of this song..:

Another similar sound from J Dilla's Won't Do:

Another unrelated sound, kinda hard to explain but the only way eye can explain it is 80's melodic Michael Jackson kind of sound, only shows up during the chorus at the beginning of the bar (and like one note somewhere in the middle).. Underachievers - Aquinini:

So the first two are a synth that is having its filter modulated by an LFO with a pseudo random step waveform, hence the bubbling and unpredictable nature of the sound

the other is much easier - it is a soprano saxophone played through an envelope generator - i.e. it is a real instrument that has been electronically modified; playing sounds like that of Wayne Shorter or Branford Marsalis

Last edited:
Eye think you may have the wrong sound I'm talking of in the last video... Not the sax.. but the the other one... Its only in the hook at the beginning of the bar and the three notes it plays are C - C# - C... And it sounds like its low passed with some reso.. but after listening to it while writing this, eye can kinda of hear what your saying...

And for the other songs, any waveform and type of filter I should start with?

no its a real sax going through an envelope shaper - the envelope shaper is changing the attack of the sax so that it sounds almost like it is being played in reverse... - I make this assertion based on many many years of writing and playing and analysing stuff like this - that trick on the sax is a common one from the early to mid-80's.

As for the other sounds start with a sawtooth and use a standard 12db/octave lpf with low resonance - you will have to tweak the cutoff to match what is happening with the lfo, which should be at about 10-11Hz or maybe half that depending on the stepped waveform the lfo offers.

Ok so you mean to to modulate the filter cutoff with the free form/psuedo random LFO yes? Eye did this and it sounds kind of weird... I'm working in Omnisphere, maybe eye can PM you the link?

And for the other song, yeah like eye said after listening to it a few times with keeping in mind what you said, eye could hear what you meant..

Hey so eye tried, doing the thing with the sax (slow attack on the sax with an envelope) and I'm still convinced its not the sound I'm talking about... What you told me emulates the sax sound all throughout the song, but not the sound in the Chorus of the song (i.e. the part where he says "I'm taking trips inside of my mind only to find..") It's right there at 0:50 and definitely has a synth quality to it whether it's a sample or not.. Do you hear what eye am hearing or am I going crazy?

I hear what you are saying - but this is the section that convinced me it was a sax being manipulated earlier - the sounds you hear are common saxophone playing techniques, not synthesised emulations - you can actually hear the player choking the notes by closing his throat and even chomping down on the reed.

Dr Peter Clinch, in the early 80's, examined the effects of throat resonance on pitching consistency and playing techniques in the saxophone and clarinet, and identified the sounds you hear as the equivalent of glottal stops (from epiglottis, the the skin flap behind the tongue that guards the vocal folds) in vocalisation and speaking.

As for the rest, couple of crazy days and have not got back to it just yet.

Eye think you may have the wrong sound I'm talking of in the last video... Not the sax.. but the the other one... Its only in the hook at the beginning of the bar

Playing chords at the first and last beats of every other odd bar? It's an electric piano. EQed to make it soft, warm and dark.

Eye think you may have the wrong sound I'm talking of in the last video... Not the sax.. but the other one... Its only in the hook at the beginning of the bar and the three notes it plays are C - C# - C... And it sounds like its low passed with some reso.. but after listening to it while writing this, eye can kinda of hear what your saying...

Playing chords at the first and last beats of every other odd bar? It's an electric piano. EQed to make it soft, warm and dark.

You missed (didn't quote) the bit where he tells you that it is three individual notes - so not an ep playing chords - but a synth or as we have established by discussion, a soprano sax........

Mane seriously **** this auto save post ish...

The first sound was achieved by doing what you said but also adding an arpeggiator and reverb and delay... The second sound was also achieved by doing what you said although I don't think it sounds like it very much... It's a little to "hifi" sounding you know?

The next clip is me using the first sound in a musical setting: a flip from the Flip This! forum... notice I ran a sample through it and not chords or spaced out single notes... I think the sound can only be achieved, and sound like the examples by playing relatively fast single notes... But I am open to suggestions in terms of refining the sound

actually he agreed that it was a sax after repeated listenings.

Do you play sax? I do and I know when I am hearing it as well.

The idea of reverse stings or filtered strings did cross but there are too many saxophone related sounds.

actually he agreed that it was a sax after repeated listenings.

Are we in the same conversation?

I have ears. Its not a sax. Either strings, or something that has been mangled to sound exactly like strings. Sax' have a completely different sound. There are too many saxophone related sounds for another sound to not be a saxophone? That makes no sense.

Last edited:
Yes we are and when I say that there are too many saxophone related sounds I'm talking about the reed stops and starts and the throat closing that you hear with along with the saxophone licks.

I am using my ears and my playing/composing/conducting experience to inform what I am hearing rather than blindly accepting that it can't be "this" because the op says so - the op did not create the track and wants to know what others hear - I hear a sax in the last track playing the linear lines and an electric piano of some form playing the chordal material....

I'm not sure what you all are debating, the main instrument I am hearing at the :50 mark is definitely a sax with some heavy effects and is almost being modulated or chopped somehow.. I don't see how that DOESN'T sound like a sax.
I also hear some electric keys/chords being played softly below that main 'instrument'.

Ok to squash any confusion about which sound it is, THIS is the sound I'm talking about:

Now. If it is what bandcoach is saying, is there anything you can tell me that well help me get closer to this sound in addition to what you stated before? Because I did it, and this is what I got (second sound)

How hard was it to isolate the sound for us if you had done this at the start we would not have wandered away from the question you asked.

In that isolated sound sample: no sax, but yes probably an epiano with a little phaser and reverb on it should get close to original sound and then use the treble/bass tone controls found on some emulation and boost the bottoms and cut the top a little to get it even closer

@mdh: when you have a broad canvas to choose from (the original whole song) and are given vague statements (it is the lick that happens at the start of each bar) it is hard to identify exactly what is being asked; I got it wrong but only due to poor guidance not poor listening.....

Haha okay of course it was poor guidance.... eye only stated it was single notes and the notes playing were C - C# - C at 0:50 at the beginning of the bar in the hook, and that it sounded like it was low passed with a bit of reso, and that it wasn't a sax.... where in the song at 0:50 seconds in does the sax play those specific notes.. And then i posted up a clip of what you told me to do with the same notes and rhythm as the song... You could of definitely put 2 and 2 together.. So it was neither poor guidance nor poor listening... It was misinterpretation and not taking what eye stated seriously..

But you're right, from now on eye will always isolate the sound...

Who cares if you got it wrong... It's not demoting you from being a bandcoach guru..Its right now..

Thank for your help as always though, eye think eye got a little closer.

Last edited:
I think in future a better approach would be for each person to give a full description of everything they hear in the track. That way everything is accounted for and its harder to get mixed up about which element we are all listening to... as we are listening to all of them.

One of the issues with synth sounds is that if you describe them in words, they're all practically the same. Most of the signature of a synth sound comes from lots of minute things, not broad settings.

So the fluttery synth thing, which reminds me of a track I can't place: I think for that sound most of it's personality comes from its structure (and almost as much from its filtering), not its basic waveform. I think what makes it is envelope settings and possibly some kind of granular feedback delay. In fact it may well be a granular effect applied to a sample. It smacks of granular synthesis.

...I think what it reminds me of is star fox the nintendo game... which sounds mad, but I think it has something like this sound.

Last edited:
Back