Song Structures

H

hbdmm

Hey y'all I'm looking to expand my range of production(right now i can do pop, r&B, and hip-hop). Does anyone know a book or website that has the song structure for other genres? Also the types of instruments used from various eras of music. Thanks in advance

HBDMM

hbdmm said:
Hey y'all I'm looking to expand my range of production(right now i can do pop, r&B, and hip-hop). Does anyone know a book or website that has the song structure for other genres? Also the types of instruments used from various eras of music. Thanks in advance

HBDMM

I think the best way to learn about a genres song structure and instruments from an era would be to listen to lots of music from that genre/era...

Instead of doing the obvious.. Why don't you experiment..

instead of intro/a/b/a/b/c/b/b/a fade out

make a sheet and make a big ass list of abc variables
songwriting technique i learned from playing in rock bands
very simple stuff.

A=verse
B=Hook
c= bridge or break

once you understand this abc concept..
you get into musical chemistry and arrangements are scientific (which im trying to prove to fellow wash heights producers.

which is something im writing about.

Last edited:
Sanguis Mortuum said:
I think the best way to learn about a genres song structure and instruments from an era would be to listen to lots of music from that genre/era...

Its not that i don't listen to other music,but when i try to count the bars to determine the structure it seems to vary. Instruments wise when i play an organ it doesn't have that 70's era sound, I want to know the exact instrument if possible to replicate that sound.

theinquisition said:

which is something im writing about.

Thanks for the info, good luck with your writing. Elchamo thanks for the website it gave the history behind the music

Last edited by a moderator:
Back