song structure

C

CheefDiCheeba

finishing a song...

as far as writing a song goes...i try to get my lyrics down all within the same day. ima pretty fast writer so sometimes it may take me an hour or 2 to finish a 3 verse song or it mayeven take a couple days where i would have to come back to it. if its a concept song i usually take my time with it...but if im just traight MC'in, i gets busy.

my main concern is finishin up my beats. i usually just start wit a couple loops and write to it...most the time it be 4 bars. sometimes there no variation in the song, just a constant loop. i dont wanna exhaust the same drops over and over for every beat with a simple loop that i have. im terrible at adding melodies to my beats so i rely on a variation of samples but if i just have a simple loop....is it alright to just let that joint loop for most of the song?

Last edited by a moderator:
There are no rules...

But this is essentially what you need... a breakdown to come in on... a break to signal the hook and one to signal the verse comeback...

consider buying beats from someone else to change up the vibe too.

I mean honestly... it's all about you and how you envision the song to come out in the end...

for my solo joints i been using a some of my boys beats and a couple instrumentals too...so i got a diverse sound. but i been makin tracks wit my mans from work and so far we finished up a song and the only variation after the intro is right beore the hook where i drop the drums for a couple bars then the sample drops back in for the hook. thats pretty much what i been doin wit most of my beats.

we workin on 2 songs right now. 1 of them is just a 2 bar loop and the other is a 4 bar loop. i aint tryna do the same **** for both songs...but i cant think of anything else to do wit these beats tho.

CheefDiCheeba said:
for my solo joints i been using a some of my boys beats and a couple instrumentals too...so i got a diverse sound. but i been makin tracks wit my mans from work and so far we finished up a song and the only variation after the intro is right beore the hook where i drop the drums for a couple bars then the sample drops back in for the hook. thats pretty much what i been doin wit most of my beats.

we workin on 2 songs right now. 1 of them is just a 2 bar loop and the other is a 4 bar loop. i aint tryna do the same **** for both songs...but i cant think of anything else to do wit these beats tho.

Your first mistake is locking in yourself to one beat...

Have the beats made/ make them yourself... alright...

Play through them... see which ones give you an urge to just start spitting to them... it's hard to spit over your own beat because you know the beat so imtimately that it's sometimes hard to come up with a fresh concept

yeah i agree..my hearin is tainted cus im the one that sat there and put everything to it. but as far as lockin myself in to a beat...i'd disagree. we played through some beats and these were the ones we chose to spit on. i just basically needa structure it into a song, add drops, an intro, hook, etc. im lackin in that department

Back