Some Doubts In Chord Progressions

Drl4k3

What do you mean by chord progressions in a minor key and major Key?

and when you say that you do you also mean chord progressions in the respective minor or major scale?

Ive read somewhere that major chord progressions hav the pattern - I-ii-iii-IV-V-vi-vii* and minor have something else but differnet. I understnad the upper roman numerals means major chords and lower mean minor chords. My question is that can we use the minor pattern for the a major scale

for eg: say i want to play in Em. can i use the major scale progressions. I cant quite grasp this concept so any help will be greatly appreciated

Also how is this related to major and minor scales as in when i say C major as A minor is a relative scale does it mean that the chord progressions of cmajor and aminor are same? and how do we use both differnetly?
Thanks again guys :o

Last edited:
what you cited above is the chords and chord types available in the major

the word progression implies a directed sequence, i.e. movement with a goal, so we are talking about setting up and possibly resolving tension through cadences

this process applies equally well to the major and the minor. Some cadences that are omitted in my discussions here at fp include the use of the European 6th chords (dominant 7th chords in drag) including French, Italian, German and Neapolitan 6ths: I ahve discussed them separately but not in the context of cadences so might write a tutorial on that shortly

go and read this tutorials and then ask further questions

Chord Progressions in the major - some tips and tricks

Thanks For the quick reply Bandcoach as always :)

Im sorry but i dont think you've understood me quite well. Its not your fault i forgot to tell you that When i meant the progressions pattern in roman numerals, I meant that those in Diatonic major and minor scale. So I meant 1-3-5 in that respective scale and ii meant 2 4b-6(usingthose respective notes). so the I chord means the first chord of that major scale using this triad pattern

and also i didnt quite get what you meant by Cadence.
I apologise for my lack of musical knowledge. I was reading this book called tdlr music theory by neon the rex and these doubts have arisen from there. Thanks again Fp and Bandcoach

I seriously doubt that I misunderstood your question. you may have misunderstood my reply. In fact your explanation shows that either the book you are reading is wrong or you have misquoted it (there is no scale tone b4 in the ii chord it is spelt 2-4-6)

you will find if you choose to search my writings on this topic in numerous places with the same basic information

triad
Roman numerals
Scale Tones
I1-3-5
ii2-4-6
iii3-5-7
IV4-6-1
V5-7-2
vi6-1-3
viib57-2-4

we might write the following as scale tones to use to construct certain chord types

Major ~ 1-3-5
Minor ~ 1-b3-5
Augmented ~ 1-3-#5
Diminished 1-b3-b5
major 7th ~ 1-3-5-7
dominant 7th ~ 1-3-5-b7
minor 7th ~ 1-b3-5-b7
minor 7th b5 ~ 1-b3-b5-b7
diminished 7th ~ 1-b3-b5-bb7

all chord progressions eventually reduce to I-V-I everything else

the movement from chord to chord can be directed (cadence like) or undirected (sequence like)

cadence is the movement from one chord to another that has a specific musical direction

The following are cadences we usually see

I-VImperfect in European usage, interrupted in US usage
V-IPerfect in European and US usage with many variations in the naming in US usage based on what tones are found in the final chord
IV-IPlagal or the Church/Amen cadence
V-viDeceptive
V- any other chord except I or viInterrupted in European usage
[

as before use the search function here at fp to find more detailed explanations and then come back and ask questions you might still have

Last edited:
Back