Software Synth Brands and sounds....???

Chew_Bear

I know that the highly skilled/experienced producers can tell whether a synth sound is....

A. Square, Triangle, Sine, Saw Tooth

B. Additive, Subtractive, Frequency Modulation, Wave Table

But...what I want to know is...

Can a highly skilled/experienced producer with a good ear tell "brands of synths" apart...???

For example...can they tell whether a sound was made with MASSIVE, SYLENTH1, SERUM, SPIRE, DIVA, OMNISPHERE, ZEBRA, NEXUS2 or whatever...???

Last edited:
Pretty much no.

There are subtle differences (especially in different filter types) but mostly it comes down to how good you are at designing sounds. Some people will disagree with me but generally it's just that they don't know how to use their synths properly.

70 % no I would guess.
The only case I can think of when someone has used a specific synth is when I hear it features a parameter that is more or less only available in that synth (or that it's available in some synths but 90% of producer use this specific synth).
A simple example would be the Modern Talking wavetable in Massive - no other synth has this wavetable. I sometimes listen to EDM tunes and hear this sound and I'm like Yup that's Massive.

Yep. You can hear techniques of how a sound is produced (even though there might be multiple avenues of approach to get to a specific sound), and sometimes specific traits of certain synths. And sometimes you'll hear distinct and/or classic presets being used.

Back