Software and formats used

geovanni

Simple questions:
1.Which is a good program to do your scores with. I have cakewalk´s MUSIC CREATOR, its watered down version of SONAR (even so, you are able to import video files). Do not have SONAR. I would like to know which one let´s you import your video files.
2.what is the most common video format in which TV or film people use for their scoring contractors.

geovanni said:
Simple questions:
1.Which is a good program to do your scores with. I have cakewalk´s MUSIC CREATOR, its watered down version of SONAR (even so, you are able to import video files). Do not have SONAR. I would like to know which one let´s you import your video files.

I have no experience with either of the programs you mentioned, byt any program where you can sync to video is fine for scoring.

geovanni said:

2.what is the most common video format in which TV or film people use for their scoring contractors.

Quicktime is very common (it is extremely rare that I will get sent anything other than a QT file)

I think I'm being sent regular mpeg files. Windows Media Player works fine for playing them.

If of any interest: I always send mp3 files to the film makers.

Giannis said:
I think I'm being sent regular mpeg files. Windows Media Player works fine for playing them.

If of any interest: I always send mp3 files to the film makers.

you send MP3 files for use in the film? or just for them to listen to for reference and approval?

I absolutely can't believe anyone would put an MP3 in a film... it is such poor quality.

I've sent mp3 files which have been used in films, yeah.

I know mp3 isn't high quality but no one has really complained. My philosophy has always been that it is the music which counts. Mixing and sound quality is of great importance of course.

Can you give me exaples of the software you are using. Just to have a reference and maybe look into them.

Giannis said:
I've sent mp3 files which have been used in films, yeah.

I know mp3 isn't high quality but no one has really complained. My philosophy has always been that it is the music which counts. Mixing and sound quality is of great importance of course.

Seriously, there is no excuse for sending a final mix as an MP3... especially because it must have been a non-compressed file when it was finished, and it would have had to be converted to that much worse sounding compressed format.

There is no reason not to give them the original uncompressed file.

In all honesty, I cannot imagine any professional who would use an MP3 as a final file.

hey man,
first of all shame on you for even thinking it is acceptable to send as an mp3. When sound is bounced down with visuals, there is addition compression and processing. Everytime you digitally process a sound, the quality is being diminished. Especially for scoring, where the dynamic contrast is so important, when you convert to mp3, the bit rate is being reduced thus reducing the dynamic range. Film people usually want 48KHz at 16/24bit depending.

Regarding the previous questions to do with programs. PROTOOLS is awesome for audio and the new Protools 7 is apparently really good for midi too. Visual sequencing is very good. You can score in SMTE time which enables you to work in frames with the visuals. SONAR is also very good, as its midi capabilities are very nice. For scoring midi through softsynths and virtual samplers with visuals, then SONAR. For audio with visuals, then i can thouroughly recommend PROTOOLS. Just depends on what floats your boat. Logic is highly recommended but is really an aquired taste that i am not too fond of.
anyway good luck
- Dane

I've done it dvyce. Believe me. But now when you're telling me not to I'll start giving them the wav files.

Giannis said:
I've done it dvyce. Believe me. But now when you're telling me not to I'll start giving them the wav files.

You'll be very glad you did.

Your music will thank you...

Your clients will thank you...

Your career will thank you.

Just the topic I was looking for. I use Nuendo 2.1 and I am working with a client that wants to do a voice-over demo using a movie trailer.Will quicktime pro enable me to capture the video and replace the audio for three 10 second segments of a DVD? I don't need to the capture the entire movie I just need a couple of snippets of it.

hey,
I don't think quicktime pro will rip DVD's, i may be wrong... I do know that there is a number of dvd rip demo's that you can download legally. Even with the demo limitations, you should be able to rip the small sections you are after. Then upon importing into Nuendo, naturally replace the audio etc. If quicktime doesn't do what you want with the dvd then maybe try the demo program option. You might want to look into copyright law for the dvd you are using too if it's not original.
have fun,
- Dane

Back