SMPTE time code confusion...

munook

Has any one here experimented with SMPTE time code...am I correct in assuming that my machines can control the speed at which the frames per second scroll on a film much like my machines can control the beats per second on another drum machine...if so what kind of gear/apperatus do I need to do this...my idea is to take a BBC dinosaur documentary (used by permission of course) edit out all the begining and ending credits, then take all the amazing dinosaur footage put it on a screen and sunc the playback with the beat of the song...just to give the audience more bang for thier buck...by and by if you want some facinating and educational eye candy chack out BBC's "Walking With Dinosaurs" documentary...really cool.....please help....

munook said:
Has any one here experimented with SMPTE time code...am I correct in assuming that my machines can control the speed at which the frames per second scroll on a film much like my machines can control the beats per second on another drum machine...if so what kind of gear/apperatus do I need to do this...my idea is to take a BBC dinosaur documentary (used by permission of course) edit out all the begining and ending credits, then take all the amazing dinosaur footage put it on a screen and sunc the playback with the beat of the song...just to give the audience more bang for thier buck...by and by if you want some facinating and educational eye candy chack out BBC's "Walking With Dinosaurs" documentary...really cool.....please help....

i am not familiar with exactly what you are using to run your vodeo, but...

generally, you will not be able to control the speed of your video (i.e., control the fps) in a music application.

There is a fundamental difference between controlling the speed of video and controlling the tempo of a drum machine: the drum machine is intended to have a variable tempo in order for you to be able to create beats in different tempos... a video is designed to move at a particular frame rate (typically 30fps for video and 24fps for film)

What usually happens in modern studios is that you synch your computers (sequencers, drum machines, etc) to the more "fixed rate" machines (like a tape machine or video).

i am sure there is something that will let you do this, but i don't know offhand what it is

(not a particular useful response, i know... but, hey, at least it is something :) )

emranrao said:
What you need is a midi interface (by MOTU or Unitor etc.)with SMPTE in connection. This way SMPTE code which is the video timecode can be synched up to the MTC code (Midi Time Code). Check this article out for more details
http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/document.2004-06-25.9537505887

that will not help him to do what he is trying to do.

The thing you linked to talks about slaving a DAW to timecode.

In that case you have your video (on a physical video cassette machine) and the video has time code recorded on it (when you play it, it sounds like a dial-up modem) and that tone is read by the SMPTE box and converts the tone to MTC and the sequencer is locked up to the video cassette.

Whoa...you just blew my mind square out my ass....let's back up....O.K. So I get this video production guy in my town to splice the footage that I want(which is on VHS) together. He then copies this footage to a VHS....I take the freshly spliced VHS put it into a VHS player and hook the VHS player to a television (of course, I assume he could put it on DVD too..if that is the better format, just say so).......O.K. NOW I have my rompler, sequencer, VA synth, module, & sampler making music....how do I connect the VHS/DVD player to the hardware equipment in order to sync up the speed of the music to the speed of the VHS and/or DVD? please by specific and no fly bys because I am learning as I go...thanks

munook said:
Whoa...you just blew my mind square out my ass....let's back up....O.K. So I get this video production guy in my town to splice the footage that I want(which is on VHS) together. He then copies this footage to a VHS....I take the freshly spliced VHS put it into a VHS player and hook the VHS player to a television (of course, I assume he could put it on DVD too..if that is the better format, just say so).......O.K. NOW I have my rompler, sequencer, VA synth, module, & sampler making music....how do I connect the VHS/DVD player to the hardware equipment in order to sync up the speed of the music to the speed of the VHS and/or DVD? please by specific and no fly bys because I am learning as I go...thanks

first of all, I'll start by letting you know that this will really be of no use to you. It has really not been of much use to anybody in the last 8 years. Synching a sequencer to a VHS machine has been obsolete since the time digital video came into place as a standard part of just about every sequencing program. simply having a quicktime video imported into your sequence is not only an easier way to synch to video, but you have more versatility and more control...

what synching to a video in this way will allow you to do is this: you can play your VHS tape and the sequencer will play along with it. The VHS tape will synch the positioning of your sequence. If you have a 2 minute video and you are composing 2 minutes of music to go along with it, you can align the video and sequencer in this way. To start your sequence, you press play on your VCR machine. If you want to play your music from the 1 minute point, then you fast forward your video to the 1 minute point and start it from there.

The video (VHS tape machine) controls the position of the sequencer... not the other way around.

The sequencer is referred to as the "slave" and the VHS machine is referred to as the "master"... the sequencer is "slaved" to the VHS tape machine.

(note: that is the terminology used... I did not make that up myself)

You need to buy a box that creates (writes) this SMPTE time code.

You record that time code to an audio channel of the VHS machine.

You have the audio output of the VHS machine going into another box that reads the time code.

you go out from that box into your sequencer.

Your sequencer reads the time code and determines from that data where to begin playing your sequence.

the result is the same as if you loaded a piece of digital video into your sequencer... the only difference is that synching to a video tape is a big big hassle and i don't know anybody who has worked that way in the last 10 years... literally.

Synching to video in this way will not allow you to control the speed of your video.

This will not allow you to synch up speed of your video to the speed of your music. This will only synch the 2 together so they play at the same time.

having a guy splice video together and put it on a VHS tape (or a DVD with time code) will be no different in result than if the video editing guy made the video into a Quigktime video and you loaded it into your sequence and worked with it that way... except, like i said, working with the video as a Quicktime in your sequence will be easier and more accurate (you can easily loop your sequences audio or easily go frame by frame or easily jump around to random points in your sequence... but you cannot do that if you are synching to a VHS tape or DVD.)

Do you understand what I am saying?

I think I understand...let me try to clear a few things up for myself....If the spliced video is made into a quicktime video (& I make music...I don't edit film.....so I hope this dude can turn this video into a quicktime....and that process in itself puzzles me a bit). Then that video is loaded into the sequence (and how do you do that...)

But even if I do use a quicktime format I still cannot control the speed of the film with the speed of the music...only sync the stop and start time......

That is a bit of a road block...So I guess with the video in quicktime format (and you can take a VHS, splice it, and turn it into a quicktime file?) I would have to either buy a projector or a big ass computer screen so the audience would see it....I was kinda hoping I could do a whole "Dark Side of the Moon with the Wizard of OZ" kinda thing. And the video would begin at the push of play on the sequencer and play the duration of the song and then stop when I pushed stop on the sequencer....correct me if I am wrong make a few more specific suggestion if you don't mind...sorry If I don't make much sense...This is totally uncharted territory and I am very tired....thanks

Back