Slept on Production Tool: Jam Sessions- Nintendo DS!!!

Lodger

Certified Funk Master
Hey, all

Im not sure if you've heard of Jam Sessions for the nintendo DS, but i swear it must be one of the most slept on production tools I've ever seen. This program puts the creative power of an acoustic guitar in even a non-guitar-players hands.

The premise of the program is that it lets you compose using guitar chords (letting you strum along w/ a stylus while changing chords w/ the directional pad.) The program has multisampled acoustic guitars, so for laying down a rhythm guitar track, this program is a real monster.

you can save multiple sets of chords for songs you are working on and can save your tracks, complete w/ information about what chords are playing in the sequence.

Admittedly, there arent individual strings... so dont expect to do any clapton esque solos.

I got this program for $29.00 on saturday and have already thrown together 3 new tracks (some actually use the program for the rhythm guitar parts). I encourage everyone to check this out on youtube...they really have an innovative product on their hands, here

-Lodger:cheers:

Last edited:
Yeah, this cat on sp-forums uses that, he also said a similar progam to jam session is coming out but with DJing capabilities.

You're joking?

What on earth does it sound like quality-wise?

The DS only has 4MB of RAM and and audio has to be uncompressed RAW audio - hence use of very low sample rates. How do you get the audio out?

Why not just learn the three-chord trick on a cheap/second-hand guitar? It will sound better.

believe it or not, its actually passable if you bury it a bit in the mix or run it through some external fx. personally, i like the way that the cord palette system is structured- it provides a really open, flexible way to work.

i wouldn't have expected it either... but im really digging this little program.

- Lodger

Fair enough, I can see it's artistic potential.

Lodger said:
believe it or not, its actually passable if you bury it a bit in the mix or run it through some external fx.
Maybe true, but I subscribe to the dictum crap in = crap out. You can only dress up a poor sound so much.

Production is a game to most. It is treated as such.

Last edited by a moderator:
ruptured said:
Production is a game to most. It is treated as such.
so what if it is, if you love production, then why shouldnt it be fun like a game, and also thats good for us serious producers too, cuz what happens to a game when you play and play and play it?.....eventually you start playing a different game

Back