Shaker sound??

DigitalP

:confused: How do you get a real shaker swing like the one used on LUV U BETTER PRODUCED BY THE NEPTUNES.

Or like the one used on the new CASSIE album song is called "About time"

Anybody have this sound they mind sharing?

hmm. listening to "luv u better". sounds like non-quantised (direct off pharrell's or chad's fingers, dare i say) and with harder velocity on the early shaker parts in the 'loop'. i think ive read somewhere that the neptunes dont really quantise things like hihats, percussion parts.

on "about time", i'm assuming because it's new cassie, it must be ryan leslie. which if thats the case, just see 'the neptunes' methodology above. heh

do a google search for "neptunian drum kit rapidshare"

not in quotes tho. itll get you a link to a lot of neptune type drums including shakers like those.

use less quantize..

but yea. it aint hard to play our real sounds.. i do that a lot. which certain percussion.. i make my own kicks, snares, etc.. if u got a good mic, jus experiment.. try wit it. its easy

betta_than_u said:
but yea. it aint hard to play our real sounds.. i do that a lot. which certain percussion.. i make my own kicks, snares, etc.. if u got a good mic, jus experiment.. try wit it. its easy
Yep, and you don't even have to use the actual instruments. You can probably punch the mic in its face and have a good snare.

DigitalP said:
:confused: How do you get a real shaker swing like the one used on LUV U BETTER PRODUCED BY THE NEPTUNES.

Or like the one used on the new CASSIE album song is called "About time"

Anybody have this sound they mind sharing?
It's all about the velocity! You can put the accent (louder note) on the first 1/16 note like CHIC-chic-chic-chic and that is one quarter note, so you'll do that 4 times per measure. i took me awhile to figure out how to do that. You can play with where you put the accent to get different grooves.

I hope that's what you were looking for.

you could also do: CHIC-chic-CHIC-chic for that chicka chicka chicka groove.

Last edited:
you could sample the intro of diana krall's "black crow", from the cd "The girl in the other room"

Back