Setting A Sexy Mood

ThunderDan

I've got the whole spooky thing down, I've got the happy thing down, I can do uplifting all day but when it comes to time to try to make some baby making music I get stuck. Can theory help with this? Is there a mode or scale that would be more useful to getting this type of sound?

Some examples of what you consider to be baby-making music would help me analyse and provide you with some custom insights.

Some initial thoughts though are based on observations of Isaac Hayes' music ala Shaft

Instrumentation:
Guitars
Bass
Electric Piano
Saxes,
Trumpets,
Trombones,
Strings

Early trap style chording: Em[sup]7[/sup]-F[sup]Maj7[/sup] and reversed F[sup]Maj7[/sup]-Em[sup]7[/sup]

Some written examples soon

Last edited:
Stuff from that era like "in between the sheets" by the isley brothers....and early r kelly type stuff like "bump and grind"

Some examples of what you consider to be baby-making music would help me analyse and provide you with some custom insights.

Some initial thoughts though are based on observations of Isaac Hayes' music ala Shaft

Instrumentation:
Guitars
Bass
Electric Piano
Saxes,
Trumpets,
Trombones,
Strings

Early trap style chording: Em[SUP]7[/SUP]-F[SUP]Maj7[/SUP] and reversed F[SUP]Maj7[/SUP]-Em[SUP]7[/SUP]

Some written examples soon

Use the instrumentation described by this guy. Ever listened to Alisha keys when she rights those "sexy" moody love songs? Try that.

Sounds like the what Maroon 5 used to do and Jamiroquai - too easy, some insights to the sexy mood coming soon.....

Stuff from that era like "in between the sheets" by the isley brothers....and early r kelly type stuff like "bump and grind"
I can dig it, but I kinda think there's a gap in those styles (maybe i have an Isley bias). Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the coach breaks it down.

So, Isley Brothers "Between the sheets" 1st 16 bars

So I don't seldom get it wrong, but when I do, I like to correct the record as soon as I can

Progression is slightly more interesting and slightly more complex

F[sup]maj9[/sup] - E[sup]7b9[/sup] -Am[sup]9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup]/C - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - E[sup]7b9[/sup] -Am[sup]9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup]/C - Bm[sup]7b5[/sup] - E[sup]7b9#5[/sup] -Am[sup]9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup]/C - Bm[sup]7b5[/sup] - E[sup]7b9#5[/sup] then the lick

B-A-B-C-D in octaves

ChordTones
F[sup]maj9[/sup]F-A-C-E-G
E[sup]7b9[/sup]E-G[sup]#[/sup]-B-D-F
E[sup]7b9#5[/sup]E-G[sup]#[/sup]-B[sup]#[/sup]-D-F
Am[sup]9[/sup]A-C-E-G-B
Am[sup]7[/sup]A-C-E-G
Gm[sup]9[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A
Gm[sup]9[/sup]/CG-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A with a C in the bass
Bm[sup]7b5[/sup]B-D-F-A

E[sup]7b9[/sup] is very similar to G[sup]#o7[/sup], just add an E....

And there was very little to distinguish between the F[sup]maj7[/sup] and the C[sup]maj7[/sup] I thought I heard (not even an A in the chord played, so it could have been either)

Middle section is

Dm[sup]9[/sup] - G[sup]9sus4[/sup] - C[sup]maj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Bm[sup]7b5[/sup] - E[sup]7b9#5[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Dm[sup]9[/sup] - G[sup]9sus4[/sup] - C[sup]maj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Bm[sup]7b5[/sup] - E[sup]7b9#5[/sup] - then the lick

ChordTones
Dm[sup]9[/sup]D-F-A-C-E
G[sup]9sus4[/sup]G-C-D-F-A
C[sup]maj9[/sup]C-E-G-B-D
Am[sup]7[/sup]A-C-E-G
Bm[sup]7b5[/sup]B-D-F-A
E[sup]7b9#5[/sup]E-G[sup]#[/sup]-B[sup]#[/sup]-D-F

End section is a bit strange, but is something like F[sup]maj9[/sup] - G[sub]/A[/sub] - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - Em[sup]7[/sup] - D[sub]/E[/sub] - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - G[sub]/A[/sub] - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup]

ChordTones
G[sub]/A[/sub]G-B-D with an A in the bass
Em[sup]7[/sup]E-G-B-D
D[sub]/E[/sub]D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A with an E in the bass
Am[sup]7[/sup]A-C-E-G

the F[sup]maj9[/sup] has a grace note E going to the F in the bass
enjoy

------

Bump and Grind

Chords -

Intro
F[sup]maj9[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/F[/sub] - B[sup]9b5[/sup] - B[sup]bmaj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]9[/sup] - A[sup]7b9#5[/sup]

Chorus/Verse
||: F[sup]maj9[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/F[/sub] - B[sup]9b5[/sup] - B[sup]bmaj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] - F[sup]maj9[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/F[/sub] - B[sup]9b5[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup][sup]maj9[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - C[sup]9sus4[/sup] :||

Bridge/Middle 4
B[sup]b[/sup][sup]maj9[/sup] - C[sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub] - B[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - Am[sup]7[/sup] - D[sup]sus4[/sup] - D[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] - Gm[sub]/C[/sub] - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub]

ChordTones
Cm[sup]7[/sup]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/F[/sub]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup] with a F in the bass
B[sup]9b5[/sup]B-D[sup]#[/sup]-F-A-C[sup]#[/sup]
Bb[sup]maj9[/sup]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A-C
Am[sup]7[/sup]A-C-E-G
Gm[sup]9[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A
A[sup]7b9#5[/sup]A-C[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
Gm[sup]7[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F
B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F with a C in the bass
C[sup]9sus4[/sup]C-F-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D
C[sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]C-E-G B[sup]b[/sup]
B[sup]bmaj7[/sup]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A
D[sup]sus4[/sup]D-G-A
D[sup]7[/sup]D-F[sup]#[/sup]-A-C
Gm[sub]/C[/sub]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D with a C in the bass

B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] is really a substitute for C[sup]9[/sup] or C[sup]11[/sup]

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/bumpNGrind.mp3[/mp3]

Of note in this piece is the triangle doing the LA 16ths: open-mute-mute-open-open-mute-open-mute-mute- etc....

Harmonically we can analyse this as

Intro
I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - vm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - #IV[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]9[/sup] - III[sup]7b9#5[/sup]

Chorus/Verse
||: I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - #IV[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]7[/sup] - IV[sub]/5[/sub] - I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - #IV[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - V[sup]9sus4[/sup] :||

Bridge/Middle 4
IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - V[sub]/4[/sub] - IV[sup]maj7[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - VI[sup]sus4[/sup] - VI[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]7[/sup] - IV[sub]/5[/sub] - ii[sub]/5[/sub] - IV[sub]/5[/sub]

#IV[sup]9b5[/sup] is a tritone substitution for chord I

VI is V-of-ii

rewriting so that we see chord V and any secondary dominants we get

Intro
I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - vm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - I[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]9[/sup] - III[sup]7b9#5[/sup]

Chorus/Verse
||: I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - I[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]7[/sup] - IV[sub]/5[/sub] - I[sup]maj9[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup] - v[sup]7[/sup][sub]/1[/sub] - I[sup]9b5[/sup] - IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - V[sup]9sus4[/sup] :||

Bridge/Middle 4
IV[sup]maj9[/sup] - V[sub]/4[/sub] - IV[sup]maj7[/sup] - iii[sup]7[/sup] - V-of-ii[sup]sus4[/sup] - V-of-ii[sup]7[/sup] - ii[sup]7[/sup] - V[sup]9[/sup]

------

so another song that was suggested was

Red Light Special By TLC

Different from the other as it is in 12/8; count 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 to get 4 beats that divide into 3 equal parts.

it's that whole neo-soul thing again.... Chords over a bass note other than the root or a chord tone; extensions up the whazoo; chords from outside the key to provide colour;

Chords are

Cm - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] - Cm - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - x 3

Gm[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]9[/sup][sub]/G[sup]b[/sup][/sub] - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]

Cm - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] - Cm - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - x 4

Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sub]/F[/sub] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sub]/F[/sub] - Cm[sup]7b13[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]

Gm[sup]7[/sup] - E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]9[/sup][sub]/G[sup]b[/sup][/sub] - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]

Cm - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub] - Cm - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - x 4

Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sub]/F[/sub] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Gm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sub]/F[/sub] - Cm[sup]7b13[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]

G[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - B[sup]b11[/sup] - E[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - G[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - B[sup]b11[/sup] - E[sup]bmaj7[/sup] -

G[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - B[sup]b11[/sup] - E[sup]bmaj7[/sup] - Cm - B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/D[/sub] - C[sup]7[/sup] - A[sup]b[/sup] - Gm - Fm[sup]7[/sup] - Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]

etc.....

ChordTones
CmC-E[sup]b[/sup]-G
B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/C[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F with a C in the bass
Fm[sup]7[/sup]F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
Gm[sup]7[/sup]G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F
E[sup]b[/sup]m[sup]9[/sup][sub]/G[sup]b[/sup][/sub]E[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F with a G[sup]b[/sup] in the bass
Cm[sup]7[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup] with a B[sup]b[/sup] in the bass
Cm[sup]7[/sup]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
Cm[sub]/F[/sub]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G with a F in the bass
Cm[sup]7b13[/sup][sub]/B[sup]b[/sup][/sub]C-E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup] with a B[sup]b[/sup] in the bass
G[sup]bmaj7[/sup]G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F
B[sup]b11[/sup]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]bmaj7[/sup]E[sup]b[/sup]-G-B[sup]b[/sup]-D
B[sup]b[/sup][sub]/D[/sub]B[sup]b[/sup]-D-F with a D in the bass
C[sup]7[/sup]C-E-G-B[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup]A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
GmG-B[sup]b[/sup]-D
Fm[sup]7[/sup]F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C

In the following images, chords are only indicated the first time they are used in a section

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/redLightSpecial.mp3[/mp3]

click on the images (in the space where the image should appear) to load a larger version.

Last edited:
Back