Seeking assistance in recreating one of my own pad sounds

Vinnball

Hello all,

I had an external hard drive failure last night and I lost an entire Ableton project file, one that a client of mine had just recorded vocals over.

While I've been successful recreating most sounds in the beat, the pad sound featured in the link below is giving me trouble.

I most likely used an Omnisphere preset for the foundation of this sound, but what tweaks I made in the heat of the moment are all forgotten now. However, I'm certain that I used sidechaining to make the pad more rhythmic.

If anyone can provide either a similar preset within the synth or some tips on how to program something similar, it will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Vinny

I haven't used Omnisphere before, but I feel it's a more unique timbre in it, like a smooth FM sound, maybe blended in with a saw (or even just the saw).
Then I believe it's 8 unison voices or so stacked, with slow/medium detune to create a slow movement. Then the more audible movement comes from a chorus, then it's of course very lowpassed with some resonance to it.
And obviously there is some attack and release time.

That's just my first impressions.

So after some time spent tweaking away, here's where I'm at:

It doesn't seem to have the same shine to it... Any tips on how to bring it a bit closer?

Could be wrong here, but I'm not hearing a ton of chorus or unison... It sounds louder in your first example, which doesn't make it as easy to compare....BUT the second example doesn't sound as rich, which makes me wonder if there is some saturation or waveshaping on your original pad, perhaps placed before the lowpass. (I don't use Omnisphere, so I'm not sure about the signal paths)

Back