Scoring for film and commercials

Giannis

I've done some music for documentaries and commercials (usually the longer, non-televised ones). I was thinking it would be good to get some feedback from anyone else who's in to the same type of business - or anybody innterested in it for that matter.

I'd appreciate any feedback on any of the tracks I've posted on this soundclick page I made.

Thank you.

the link:

www.soundclick.com/giannisproductions

Last edited:
ya man that stuff's dope i can definitly picture myself watching a movie or documentery or something sounds good keep it up.

I think ti sounds great. Just out of curiosity, what are you using? Cubase, protools. etc? The production quality is pretty good. Nice job

Thanks for the replies!

I'm using Logic 5.5 for PC together with some plug ins like Waves, Battery and Atmosphere. I also have a few sample libraries like Peter Siedlaczek's Advanced Orchestra and some others for drum samples.

Next I'm going to try Drumkit from Hell Superior. I've might get a job which acquires some heavy rock drumming and I'm thinking DFH might be the thing for the drums. Aside from the scoring jobs I do alot of arranging and production work for artists and I thought DFH might be useful there as well. Previously I've used Wizoo Platinum Drums but I feel that an upgrade might well suited.

amazing stuff.. awsome... i wish i could produce something like that.... :o)

Laponia was relaxing. I really liked the guitar man, Felt like a sunday at 2:15 where you wake up and see the sun and be happy that your alive.

That was nice. I really liked the guitar in that tune, Did you sample them or are they from software.

Id like to play guitar but cant really, So im just waiting for some software stuff to come out..

Peace.

Thank you.

I played those guitars and I did it with my Takamine acoustic. I rarely use samples, sometimes a drumloop from Stylus but never that much else.

Thanks again.

skillz said:
ok. So we have some of the same sounds in movies.

Heres what im looking for.

You knopw that airy vocals in like "Gladiator" or "TROY" when somebody dies. Its always a woman and its always when somebody dies. Im sure you know what i mean.

But where can i get this?

Heres an Example.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=361458

I don't know if you meant to post this in this thread, but i'll respond to it anyway...

I don't know where the vocal came from in the example you linked to... I don't recognize it... it may be sampled from somewhere or it may be a singer performing specifically for that song.

...but I can tell you that the vocal performances you hear in major films like "gladiator" and "troy" are, with 99.999999% certainty, performed by singers hired specifically for that film score. You will not find it on a sample CD or anything like that.

i actually made that beat, with film scoring instrumentals.

But im sure you can buy it man. I've read it and seen it.

skillz said:
i actually made that beat, with film scoring instrumentals.

But im sure you can buy it man. I've read it and seen it.

I wasn't talking about that track you linked to.

I was saying that in major film scores, like the ones you mentioned ("gladiator" and "troy"), any vocals you hear will typically have been recorded specifically for the film score... it is very rare than something like that would be sampled from some library.

You don't hire James Horner or Hans Zimmer so they can take vocal snips from sample libraries. I would imagine that would be quite an embarrassing thing for them to use. In fact, it would be much quicker and easier for them to hire a vocalist to perform a part they wrote than to try to find a sample to fit their score. Not to mention the fact that if they used a commercially available sampled vocal phrase, every other one of their composer peers would watch the movie and say "Did you hear that crap? That's a sample! I can't believe anyone is hiring this hack."

Back