Scales to learn by heart

Phlexter

Hi,
I decided, that finally to beginn professional palying I dont come around the fact that I have to learn all the 24 scales by heart in order to contunue to comlicated chords and progressions.
Now Is someone outthere who made this easy or developed the learning in a sinple way ?
Thx for the help !

You don't have to learn all 24 scales by heart. What i would suggest doin is buying a keyboard chord and scale diagram book. And just memorize the specific scale you want at a time. Or if you really wanted to one by one. I don't see the need in learning every key by heart tho (not to mention you'll probably end up forgetting certain scales after a while anyway lol).

http://www.amazon.com/Keyboard-Chor...4537454?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1188521698&sr=8-1

This is the book I use...^

A scale is a series of INTERVALS. Learn every scale that way, so there's only one major scale, one dorian et c. It will make life easier further on. Trust me.

A scale is a series of INTERVALS. Learn every scale that way, so there's only one major scale, one dorian et c. It will make life easier further on. Trust me.

PrevisaoDoTempo said:

Exactly.. Each scale is just a series of half steps and whole steps up the keys..

Learn them in progression, its really not hard to memorize a scale. It would be well worth your time to know all 24, just remember you dont have to learn them all at once..takes time just like everything else.

Take your practice through all keys.

Trust me, you won't be too much good if you learn ANYTHING in all the *easy* parts.

C, F, G, Bb.

LOL....wouldn't go that route.

I'd say practice your scales in the hardest keys FIRST.

F#, B, A, and E.

Learn the circle of fifths method, it will help you to remeber scales

PlanetHitzProduction said:
I'd say practice your scales in the hardest keys FIRST.

F#, B, A, and E.

Do you mean all the scales in those keys?? Sorry if I sound like a retard

hmm...

The way I did it was.

(find notes in a Major scale)

Start on C.

C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C (2 octaves) get it up to a solid speed and evenness when you play.

Then

C#

C#,D#,F,F#,G#,A#,C,C#

get it up to the same speed and even ness of the first scale.

Rinse and repeat through all keys.

If you learn the basic scales inside and out, most of the other ones will come easy since they're essentially variations. You'll just remember them as something like a minor scale with a flattened 7th. As an example.

youngjboy said:
Learn the circle of fifths method, it will help you to remeber scales

Hey, that is the method that I always recommend. But, I prefer to call it the cycle. Though, it is layed out in a circle in the graphical sense (on paper). After you go through it, you will tend to see the cycle in which all melodic movement follows (pop, jazz, hiphop, blues... Everything).

Anyway, I would just learn the crap out of the major scale. All scales in western music are derived from this scale. And, most foreign scales are used within the context of the major scale to simplify things. Learn the major scale and cycle it through the cycle of 5th/4ths. After that, throw in the modes. And, learn to differenciate between the different minors (aeolian, melodic and harmonic). Sure, you can throw in the pentatonic, chromatic and whole-tone scale, as well. But, the mastery of scales (any scale) starts with the mastery of the major scale. So, if there are any scales to learn by heart, there is only one. The major scale. Everything else is just an alteration to the major scale (in western music).

But, I have one major (no pun) recommendation. Do not think that you have to remember every single note of every scale. That will come with time. What you should really focus on is interval relationships and patterns. The mind can only take in so much at a time. So, first focus on the patterns of each major scale in each key. Then, after you have that down, focus on the interval relationships. I don't mean just listen to the differences. Really listen to them and let them create a particular color or mood within you. Associate them with something. Whatever it takes to know the difference in sound between a 4th and a 7th and so on. After you got that down, start to learn the aeolian minor. Aeolian (natural) is the easiest as it falls within the major scale, it is just another key. This is your relative minor. All major scales have a relative minor that is made up of the same notes. All the relative minor is is playing the major scale, but starting from the 6th interval. The sixth interval is also called the Aeolian mode. Thus, Aeolian minor (the minor that falls naturally within the major scale). Once you understance the relative relationship between a major scale and it respective aeolian minor, venture onto the other modes (dorian, phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrean, (Aeolian) and Ionian (which is nothing more than the root in a diatonic scale). Then, once you have the modal relationships understood, move onto the other minors (melodic and harmonic). Then, by that time, your mind should be quite curious about what else the world of musical knowledge has to offer.

Sure, you can just play whatever comes to you. But, it helps to have that toolset that allows those things to come to you naturally. And, that is what practicing this stuff is all about. That way, you are able to translate what is in your head into actual sound without even struggling. You just play it as it comes to your mind... And, it is dead-on accurate. Your fingers learn to translate what is in your mind to the medium of an instrument with razor sharp accuracy and speed.

But... And that is a big but. For every one person that has that natural talent to mesmerize the public without any formal practice or training at all, there are millions that have to work to refine that talent within them. They have to work and practice to achive what a very select few can do naturally. That is just the nature of it. But, always remember. No matter how much you know or how much you have learned. That is no replacement for creativety. Because creativety is what really makes the public point their eyes at you. So, do not ever be afraid to just let go and experiment with whatever knowledge you already have. That is what the best songs have come from. Just pure "unthinking" brainstorming. You can have all of the musical knowledge in the owrld. But, without a true talent for creativity, you will be playing music for yourself for the rest of your life.

Last edited:
W = Whole Step (2 notes up)
H = Half step (1 note up)
1.5 = One and a half step (3 notes up)

Major: W - W - H - W - W - W - H
Natural Minor: W - H - W - W - H - W - W
Harmonic Minor: W - H - W - W - H - 1.5 - H
Melodic Minor: W - H - W - W - W - W - H

PlanetHitzProduction said:
hmm...

The way I did it was.

(find notes in a Major scale)

Start on C.

C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C (2 octaves) get it up to a solid speed and evenness when you play.

Then

C#

C#,D#,F,F#,G#,A#,C,C#

get it up to the same speed and even ness of the first scale.

Rinse and repeat through all keys.

OK yeah I see what you're saying. It's working out for me so far. It's definetly good to learn the circle of 5ths I just grasped it today lol.

I read it simply put today and I was like "OOOH I'm such a retard"

jaffi said:
Hey, that is the method that I always recommend. But, I prefer to call it the cycle. Though, it is layed out in a circle in the graphical sense (on paper). After you go through it, you will tend to see the cycle in which all melodic movement follows (pop, jazz, hiphop, blues... Everything).

Anyway, I would just learn the crap out of the major scale. All scales in western music are derived from this scale. And, most foreign scales are used within the context of the major scale to simplify things. Learn the major scale and cycle it through the cycle of 5th/4ths. After that, throw in the modes. And, learn to differenciate between the different minors (aeolian, melodic and harmonic). Sure, you can throw in the pentatonic, chromatic and whole-tone scale, as well. But, the mastery of scales (any scale) starts with the mastery of the major scale. So, if there are any scales to learn by heart, there is only one. The major scale. Everything else is just an alteration to the major scale (in western music).

But, I have one major (no pun) recommendation. Do not think that you have to remember every single note of every scale. That will come with time. What you should really focus on is interval relationships and patterns. The mind can only take in so much at a time. So, first focus on the patterns of each major scale in each key. Then, after you have that down, focus on the interval relationships. I don't mean just listen to the differences. Really listen to them and let them create a particular color or mood within you. Associate them with something. Whatever it takes to know the difference in sound between a 4th and a 7th and so on. After you got that down, start to learn the aeolian minor. Aeolian (natural) is the easiest as it falls within the major scale, it is just another key. This is your relative minor. All major scales have a relative minor that is made up of the same notes. All the relative minor is is playing the major scale, but starting from the 6th interval. The sixth interval is also called the Aeolian mode. Thus, Aeolian minor (the minor that falls naturally within the major scale). Once you understance the relative relationship between a major scale and it respective aeolian minor, venture onto the other modes (dorian, phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrean, (Aeolian) and Ionian (which is nothing more than the root in a diatonic scale). Then, once you have the modal relationships understood, move onto the other minors (melodic and harmonic). Then, by that time, your mind should be quite curious about what else the world of musical knowledge has to offer.

Sure, you can just play whatever comes to you. But, it helps to have that toolset that allows those things to come to you naturally. And, that is what practicing this stuff is all about. That way, you are able to translate what is in your head into actual sound without even struggling. You just play it as it comes to your mind... And, it is dead-on accurate. Your fingers learn to translate what is in your mind to the medium of an instrument with razor sharp accuracy and speed.

But... And that is a big but. For every one person that has that natural talent to mesmerize the public without any formal practice or training at all, there are millions that have to work to refine that talent within them. They have to work and practice to achive what a very select few can do naturally. That is just the nature of it. But, always remember. No matter how much you know or how much you have learned. That is no replacement for creativety. Because creativety is what really makes the public point their eyes at you. So, do not ever be afraid to just let go and experiment with whatever knowledge you already have. That is what the best songs have come from. Just pure "unthinking" brainstorming. You can have all of the musical knowledge in the owrld. But, without a true talent for creativity, you will be playing music for yourself for the rest of your life.

couldn't remember if it was circle or cycle, but you know what i mean:cheers:

It can be called either and often is. But, it is a cycle within music that is most notable in the 4th root movement of many melodies and harmonies.

I just learn as I go....I got a online chord dictionary and a couple books. Like somebody else said, just take it one key at a time............Oh and practice at least 30 mins. a day

the way i end up familiarizing myself wit a scale is by making a beat with it.... go crazy with the melody go up and down that scale.... by the time u finish the beat you'll know it for sure... then the next beat u make try a new scale you've never used..

The way I was taught was major scales with the circle of fifths, then the minor scale associated with each major, for example C major, A minor, G major, E minor etc.
When it comes to memorizing a scale I memorize the key signature, C major has no sharps or flats so it's all white keys, whereas F major has a B flat. It's easier to remember that way.

Back