Scales

russwasherejr

So i had a real quick question. I see myself using A minor scales alot. Now, here's my thing that's confusing me alot. I don't know the other scales (i keep putting them off) but i'm going to learn them starting this week. Now, say I start off with a Minor for my melody, go up to E (note) then come back down to A to finish my melody off. Now, when I make a counter melody, should I start off with A also? Because it's weird, I noticed that I can start off with C and return back but it just doesn't sound right to me (for counter melody).

And my other question too is let's say I pick a major scale with only one black key in it. Let's just say that's Fmaj for example. (Im not sure if it is) but to be in that scale I have to start off on F right? That's my biggest question. This is what's been screwing me up for a while now.

So i had a real quick question. I see myself using A minor scales alot. Now, here's my thing that's confusing me alot. I don't know the other scales (i keep putting them off) but i'm going to learn them starting this week.

All the natural minors
A-B-C-D-E-F-G-A
B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B
C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C
D-E-F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D
E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G-A-B-C-D-E
F-G-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F
G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G

A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]
B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]
C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]bb[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]bb[/sup]-B[sup]bb[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]bb[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]-F-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]b[/sup]
F[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]bb[/sup]-B[sup]bb[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]bb[/sup]-E[sup]bb[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]
G[sup]b[/sup]-A[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]bb[/sup]-C[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-E[sup]bb[/sup]-F[sup]b[/sup]-G[sup]b[/sup]

A[sup]#[/sup]-B[sup]#[/sup]-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]
B[sup]#[/sup]-C[sup]##[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]##[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B[sup]#[/sup]
C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]
D[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]
E[sup]#[/sup]-F[sup]##[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B[sup]#[/sup]-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E[sup]#[/sup]
F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]-A-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D-E-F[sup]#[/sup]
G[sup]#[/sup]-A[sup]#[/sup]-B-C[sup]#[/sup]-D[sup]#[/sup]-E-F[sup]#[/sup]-G[sup]#[/sup]

Note=Note(s)
A[sup]#[/sup]=B[sup]b[/sup]
B[sup]#[/sup]=C, D[sup]bb[/sup]
C[sup]#[/sup]=D[sup]b[/sup]
D[sup]#[/sup]=E[sup]b[/sup]
E[sup]#[/sup]=F, G[sup]bb[/sup]
F[sup]#[/sup]=G[sup]b[/sup]
G[sup]#[/sup]=A[sup]b[/sup]
A[sup]b[/sup]=G[sup]#[/sup]
B[sup]b[/sup]=A[sup]#[/sup]
C[sup]b[/sup]=B, A[sup]##[/sup]
D[sup]b[/sup]=C[sup]#[/sup]
E[sup]b[/sup]=D[sup]#[/sup]
F[sup]b[/sup]=E, D[sup]##[/sup]
G[sup]b[/sup]=F[sup]#[/sup]
A=B[sup]bb[/sup], G[sup]##[/sup]
B=C[sup]b[/sup], A[sup]##[/sup]
C=D[sup]bb[/sup],B[sup]#[/sup]
D=E[sup]bb[/sup], C[sup]##[/sup]
E=F[sup]b[/sup], D[sup]##[/sup]
F=G[sup]bb[/sup], E[sup]#[/sup]
G=A[sup]bb[/sup], F[sup]##[/sup]

Now, say I start off with a Minor for my melody, go up to E (note) then come back down to A to finish my melody off. Now, when I make a counter melody, should I start off with A also? Because it's weird, I noticed that I can start off with C and return back but it just doesn't sound right to me (for counter melody).

You seem to assume that your counter-melody needs to start on a note other than A. it can start and end on A or C or E or D or F or G or B. what matters is that it is a viable counter-melody: slow where the main melody is fast and fast where the main melody is slow. Don't simply play the main melody a 3rd or a 5th or a 6th higher or lower and expect it to sound good.

And my other question too is let's say I pick a major scale with only one black key in it. Let's just say that's Fmaj for example. (Im not sure if it is) but to be in that scale I have to start off on F right? That's my biggest question. This is what's been screwing me up for a while now.

Right about the name for the major scale with 1 black key F major F-G-A-B[sup]b[/sup]-C-D-E-F

If you want to start a melody in the key of F you can start anywhere. What matters is that the tendency tones in the scale are used correctly. B[sup]b[/sup] falls to A and E rises to F.

Some examples that show melodic construction from a classical perspective:

The first set shows just the melodic line, starting on G then on C below F, and possible continuations

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/melConstructionA.mp3[/mp3]

melConstructionA.png

This second set also shows the underlying bass line and hence possible chords to be used in harmonising such a melody

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/melConstructionB.mp3[/mp3]

melConstructionB.png

Okay cool. I kind of disagree with the counter melody part though because I hear alot of people playing a counter melody the same speed as there main melody and it's not bad.

That's not a counter melody but harmonisation of the melody.

the phrase counter melody comes from the concepts of counterpoint where you have different rhythmic density depending on the level of counterpoint used. The level of counterpoint is always using smaller rhythmic units than the main melody, though today we often take the idea in the other direction taking the counterpoint and doubling or quadrupling the rhythmic units to make for more interesting counter-melodies.....

see this older thread for a more detailed discussion of counter-melody and counterpoint

Last edited:
always on point, thanks bro. appreciate it alot. although some of your stuff confuses me cause you use big words haha. Thanks tho bro. Lots of info :)

Back