Which scale would this be in?

BeatsByD

2qxz6dz.jpg

This is the famous westcoast whistle used in many westcoast beats.

My question is, if i would make some chords to piano or anything like that, what chord progression could i use? I am little confused because as you can see it jumps around many different keys.

This is in A# Aeolian, although I would rather call it Bb since it is so much easier to notate. That is a minor scale, so Bb minor works here over the whole thing. It is not jumping around keys, just scale degrees. When you hit the f#/Gb on the third note, that would insinuate a Gg major chord. However, considering this is a melody and not a bass line you have some freedom here. if you post an audio sample of it it would be easier to hear than look at in this way.

This is in A# Aeolian, although I would rather call it Bb since it is so much easier to notate. That is a minor scale, so Bb minor works here over the whole thing. It is not jumping around keys, just scale degrees. When you hit the f#/Gb on the third note, that would insinuate a Gg major chord. However, considering this is a melody and not a bass line you have some freedom here. if you post an audio sample of it it would be easier to hear than look at in this way.

Thanks bro, your post helped me more than you would think.

So here's a quick harmonisation in the natural minor (aeolian) of B[sup]b[/sup]

[mp3]http://www.bandcoach.org/fp/audio/beatsByDHarmony.mp3[/mp3]

beatsByDHarmony.png

I have taken the tempo to be quite slow and so have the ability to harmonise each beat as in the last bar.

If the tempo were much quicker, then there would be a limit as to what could be done in that l;ast bar, with it more likely being A[sup]b[/sup] for two beats and F minor for two beats or just A[sup]b[/sup] for two beats

B[sup]b[/sup]m ~ B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]-F
A[sup]b[/sup] ~ A[sup]b[/sup]-C-E[sup]b[/sup]
Fm ~ F-A[sup]b[/sup]-C
G[sup]b[/sup] ~ G[sup]b[/sup]-B[sup]b[/sup]-D[sup]b[/sup]

Back