scale to play with an awkward chord

V Dogg

Rapper/Producer/Engineer
Hello World. I'm working on an R&B beat with a nice chord progression. The third bar has a really awkward chord, but it actually sounded really good. This awkward chord is a TRUE chord. The notes are E, F#, and A, giving you a chord called E-5sus4add9. Now what I wanna know is what scale would fit this chord without getting off key? I know I can play the actual notes in the chord, but I need to know other notes I can play without getting off key. There simply isn't an E-5sus4add9 scale. All help would be appreciated.

You can play. E major, E minor, E dorian (same notes as d major) and E mixolydian (same notes as a major) over that chord.

Not knowing what came before that chord I can't give any adviceas to which scale will sound better/be easier to use.

The third bar has a really awkward chord.

Dude, sus 2nds and 4ths are sweet, you can play major and minor based scales over them so it's hard to go wrong. These are the last chords I would consider awkward.

A little theoretical knowlage would drastically improve your comfort zone when using chords other than basic major and minors.

Oh yeah, you could also give E minor petatonic/blues scales a try.

Hope that helps.

In that case the notes in either E minor or E dorian would fit over the whole progression.

Dagnabbit, I almost forgot. There is also an E diminished chord after the awkward chord I mentioned. Would E minor/E dorian still fit?

Whole progression: D Major, E Minor, E-5sus4add9, E diminished.

E deminished, so thats E, G and B flat, right?

In that case you'll need a key change for that chord.

E lochrian (same notes as F major) will work over that chord.

If you've got an awkward chord in you're progression it's the E dimished. IMHO.

If youre song is the key of D is sounds like this is your progression

D - Em - F#m7(w/out the 5th(C#) - Gdim7 - Bm

Dimishing chords tend to be leading chords, so they rezolve somewhere. I suspect yours resolves on Bm, but it could be resolving to a Abm, Fm, or Dm, not sure.

If the chord that you're trying to put a scale on is the f#m chord then you can play pretty much an F#m scale decide wheather or not to play G or G#. Hope this makes sense. Listen to the E-F#-A chord and see if a C# sounds good on it, if it does, then the F# minor scale should work, or an A-pentonic scale (A,B,C#,E,F#)

Back