Sampling

steadystudyin

I have an MPC1000. Whats the best way to, say, sample some strings or drums off of an MP3 and chop it up into the MPC?

"Make it do what it do...."

What I mean is you should sample from the original wav file, cuz once a file has been converted into mp3 its quality suffers dramatically. Converting it back to wav won't help either (because the conversion to mp3 already lost a lot of the information in the file when compressing). You should get the original wav file.

- Dirty Rice

Sample from mp3's all you want the quality loss from mp3's encoded at 192 or higher will be so minor you won't even notice it and the chance of a listener noticing the loss of a sample in a tracks mix after it's been processed is slim to none. Another thing is that usually when sampling you aren't always looking for the best quality sound. I know when I come across a sample that is too clean I dirty it up.

^^ Thats true, some of the best samples sound dirty in my opinion. As mentioned above the quality loss all depends what kbps the MP3 is at. Obviously if it is 64kbps it will sound awful but 192kbps is good enough for anyone producing, unless your actually a professional producer where you are making beats that are selling for tens of thousands of dollars/pounds then I dont think it matters too much. When your getting paid that much the effort to go get an original vinyl or CD wouldnt go a miss.

I agree: a lot of times you want the sample to sound dirty. There are other ways to go about doing that. But ya I suppose if the sample rate is 192 kbps then it won't make much of a difference. Although I must note that he never specified what sample rate his mp3s were, and I just wanted him to be aware that mp3s aren't as good as wav's in terms of quality, in case he was aiming for the cleanest possible sample. Obviously, if you are going for a lo-fi sound then you don't need superior quality.

- Dirty Rice

Back