Same chord progression every time ?

goto the halfway point, take the bars from there to the end and put them at the start - new progression, or just apply a similar idea and rotate each chord in the progression until you find a new version that you also like

e.g.

C-Am-F-G

could become

Am-F-G-C

or

F-G-C-Am

or

G-C-Am-F

reverse the progression

so that C-Am-F-G

becomes

G-F-Am-C

and then apply the rotation idea

F-Am-C-G

Am-C-G-F

C-G-F-Am

possibilities are endless

Inversions simply mean playing the same chords but use a different bass note, either the 3rd or the 5th of the chord in the bass

for our C-Am-F-G we might get

C-C/E-Am-Am/C-F-F/A-G-G/B

creating a stronger sense of movement between bass notes (note the V-I impetus created by using E-A and C-F in the bass line)

or even

C-C/G-Am-Am/E-F-F/C-G-G/D also creating a different but equally string bassline movement by using movement of the 7th to the root of succeeding chords G-A and E-F

Last edited:
Music tends to kind of sound boring until you mess with inversions and different voiceings.

For example the simple CEG progression (is it called 1-3-5?) sounds really lame IMO until you start tweaking it, then you start hearing something more modern sounding.

I would like to suggest tring inverted chords, they can help blend and create some interesting progressions.

Firstly this is alot easier than people think, Here's how
1.Use different instruments,, listen to get lucky by Daft punk listen
Nile rodgers guitar
Then listen to John Newmans Love me again provided a link here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfihYWRWRTQ

There exactly the same chords Bm | D | F#m | E and almost near tempo's too.
But of course you don't to change your sound that drastically, so keep your core tones the ones that make your sound then play around with your vocal deliveries, dynamics, drops and new sounding instruments to it. also change your effects slightly.
2. Tempo's, a song played fast will sound different if played slow with a different melody ontop.
3. Change your strumming patterns, i use this term cause i play guitar, basically it means chop your chords to make them sound different, eg if you play 4 chords with no chopping then play them in a common reggae syle that will immediately transform the beat.
4. add more variation if in the first beat you played an A,B,C,D Major chord progression switch it to a B,D,A,C Major chord progression, or just play 3 chords and suspend the last chord use your imagination im not going to type all the possible combinations here.
5. Add something catchy or different to distract people from hearing recyled chords, even a funky bass lick after every 3 bars for example will do,
6. Change key, this is obvious if you play a 1.3.5 chord progression in a C major scale that would be a C ,E, G CHANGE KEY to E,Same progression you get E, G#, B
7. Use your imagination, and keep playing around with your old beats a few note changes and you have a fresh new one again

Last edited:
yeah, but I'm thinking it is more E-G#-B, pumpthrust, as in the notes found in the chord not the actual chord progression

and more on inversions

same progression as given in my last post here, C-Am-F-G

C-Am-F-G-C[sub]/E[/sub]-Am[sub]/E[/sub]-F-G-C[sub]/G[/sub]-Am-F[sub]/A[/sub]-G[sub]/B[/sub]-C

I'm really loving this forum, it's helping me study all the theory I'm a little behind on.

I've been interested in messin with major/minor 7ths, it gives a whole cool depth to tracks and I've noticed a lot of my favorite producers or sounds I dig create a cool vibe with em.

40's an obvious example of this.

Back