Root key, scales, and chords..help?

No Mishap. The nature of the scale.

When building your chords, however, you should be using the Harmonic minor scale or borrowing from the tonic major scale.

E harmonic minor EF#GABCD#E
Chords:
Emin | F#dim | GAug .| Amin | B dom | C Maj | D#dim |
EGB .| F#AC .| GBD# .| ACE .| BD#F# | CEG ..| D#F#A |
i . .| iib5 .| III#5 | iv . | V . . | bVI . | viib5 |

E major EF#G#ABC#D#E
Chords:

E . .| F#min | G#min .| A . .| B dom | C#min | D#dim |
EG#B | F#AC# | G#BD# .| AC#E | BD#F# | C#EG# | D#F#A |
I . .| ii . .| iii . .| IV . | V . . | vi . .| viib5 |

If you are using the melodic minor scale both ascending and descending then you are using what is known as the Jazz minor scale.

This brings a new approach to harmonisation and a new set of chords yet again.

E jazz minor EF#GABC#D#E
Chords:

E . .| F#min | GAug .| A . .| B dom | C#dim | D#dim |
EG#B | F#AC# | GBD# .| AC#E | BD#F# | C#EG .| D#F#A |
I . .| ii . .| III#5 | IV . | V . . | vib5 .| viib5 |

In the end though, you can borrow chords from anywhere to make the harmony you want. just as you can borrow individual notes from anywhere to make the melodic flow that you want.

Thank you, sir!

So, according to what you're saying, I'm going to need to use Diminished and Augmented chords...I wouldn't have even considered that really, mostly because I've not had a clue as to how/when/why to implement those types of chords. I guess in this case, they are obviously needed...but how would I be able to determine that? Like I said, I'll pick a note, and make that my scale..Major or Minor depending on what I want at the time...And thats it..I always pick major chords or minor chords...because I never really knew when to use other types.

Im still a beginner at this, so I find sometimes the simplest things to be confusing.. like when you say to use the harmonic minor scale, or the tonic major to build my chords.. For what I've gathered so far, its good to keep your notes within scale.. but if I'm using E F# G A B C# D#.... some notes in the harmonic/tonic major aren't there... it kinda confuses me as to what I'm supposed to do when "borrowing", or how to know to even do it.. unless I completely stick to E Melodic Minor ascending/descending and use the E Jazz Minor scale you noted..Alot of unfamiliar chords there tho lol

I feel like the answer is right in front of me...well, it kinda is..lmao but I just don't understand it 100% yet.

Thanks bandcoach, your help is always greatly appreciated

^ Man, this isn't music, this is science class, factually correct but completely uninspiring and void of creation! Listen to what Angus Young does with an E D A -thing! Look at what he and the crowd are feeling when he does it. It's not science, it's sex and the only way science can get close to sex is if it's wearing glasses, a pony tail, and haulin' size C with some f*ck-me boots!

^ Man, this isn't music, this is science class, factually correct but completely uninspiring and void of creation! Listen to what Angus Young does with an E D A -thing! Look at what he and the crowd are feeling when he does it. It's not science, it's sex and the only way science can get close to sex is if it's wearing glasses, a pony tail, and haulin' size C with some f*ck-me boots!

Angus Young wouldn't have been able to do anything without learning and mastering his instrument...And that is what I'm doing. I'm learning..I'm trying to understand and get better. Therefore, for me it is inspiring and leads to creation..Because I'm learning something..and with what I'm learning, I am able to sit back and see how I've progressed just within the past couple weeks. Sure alot of people have done crazy things with simple chords and progressions..But most wouldn't have got that far without going thru what I am now...I see no problem in asking questions and getting answers which help me understand and better myself musically.

^ Fear, fear fear music, fear is fear fear, fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear! fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear E D A -thing! fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear. fear not fear, fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear, fear fear fear, fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear fear!

I can see that you are trying to make a cogent argument bu all I can read is the fear in your eyes and mind. ;)

Seriously though, go attack someone who gives a damn about what you think, rather than trying to impose your own limited world view upon those who rightfully reject it.

Last edited:
I can see that you are trying to make a cogent argument bu all I can read is the fear in your eyes and mind. ;)

Seriously though, go attack someone who gives a damn about what you think, rather than trying to impose your own limited world view upon those who rightfully reject it.

Just trying to make a distinction between creativity and science class. How many globally recognized artists or bands graduated from Berklee?

Joe Satriani, Steve Vai to name but two off the top of my head

both of whom are awesome axe players and awesome theorists and notators/transcribers in their own right.

Last edited:
Joe Satriani, Steve Vai to name but two off the top of my head

both of whom are awesome axe players and awesome theorists and notators/transcribers in their own right.

Awesome axe players who make shit music! Let's all hum along to the great chorus shall we.....wait....nope, not there!!

This isnt a topic/argument of your opinion on what music is or is not shitty. And I don't care what you think is creative or not...Obviously you're out there seeing how you want to have a negative approach to this thread because I'm asking questions and getting answers.. So take this shit elsewhere, and keep it out of my thread.

Thanks

This isnt a topic/argument of your opinion on what music is or is not shitty. And I don't care what you think is creative or not...Obviously you're out there seeing how you want to have a negative approach to this thread because I'm asking questions and getting answers.. So take this shit elsewhere, and keep it out of my thread.

Thanks

I'm actually trying to help you, but you don't seem to get it. But I'll leave you and your thread alone now....

Back