Rnb style melody

F

funatik

Hi guys! Im new on composing. I know some music theory and i got a question. I wanna create rnb style melody on piano but what i created doesnt sound like rnb. Whats the differents between rnb melodies and other genres ?

There are no melody rules for genres; not that I know of anyway. RnB is more defined by the rythm and maybe some of the arrangement idea's not melody.

Copy some of Ushers rythms and arrangement idea's and then try and put a melody over that.

EP

play melodies going backwards, in descending order. Also a lot of the times it is the chords that make it sound rnb

I am just starting the keyboard and know hardly anything about chords and how to put melodys with them in that r&b style.

Which chords are most used ? When i use the minor chords it usually just sounds like a sad love song which is not what im trying to do. Im trying to create something a long the lines of Ginuwine, tyrese, tank, jodeci, etc

How many chords should be used in a song ?
Is there a way to play a melody to make it sound rnb ?

The problem im having is putting chords and a melody together i really dont know where to start and evrything just ends up sounding the same

any help would be usefull.

Its a mix between rythym, and chord progression.

Theres really no "formula", its all about how the chords progress because that is what gives it the vibe. Minor chords work (for me atleast) but you just need to have the right progression. Try learning some RNB songs off of youtube, you should be able to get it by then.

Adam

There's a thread a bit down below called "4 chords a hit". These are probably the best chords to start of learning with as they are used in so many songs. Learn some of the tunes too.

No rules for how many chords you should have in a song. Some great songs have only 2 ("dreams" stevie nicks) and some have over 20. ("Tie a yellow ribbon" ?)

No rules that I know of for melody either. (Which is good)

Learn some songs and after you have the basic chords rythm and structure then try your own melody.

EP

r&b songs dont even have 2 have chords...listen 2 trey songz on pop champagne...all harmonies over that drum pattern...and diva by beyonce..not so r&b but u get da idea...just get creative...music is limitless trust me

Last edited by a moderator:
minor chords...well its pretty normal that they sound sad ;).
i think what you want is some of the jazz chords..they make your song a lot happier. if you use some 7th chords or whatever they're called, it might get a sexy touch.

Listen to a bunch of stuff you like and try to cop the feels of them by playing along

Back