RnB AND Hip Hop

metik2009

It seems today that RnB is selling alot, but hip hop is up there. But lately I've been listening to alot of Bone Thugs n Harmony. Those guys had alot of potential, they mastered both genres, but why didn't they get as much attention as they seem to deserve? Their top song only made it to #1 on the charts once, but it seems like they deserve more than that.
On that note, do you think it's the beat that got them that far, like music nowadays, or was it the fact that they can nail the vocals, and maintain the badass look?
And last, how can you make beats to sound like them? Are they mostly bass, drums, or the lead and stuff??? To me it seems like alot of today's music has a certain focus on the instruments, but maybe I'm going crazy.

-Metik

'todays music has a certain focus on the instruments'? isnt that what all music has been since the start? i think that the main reason that bones thugs..... havent made as big an impact as some other artists in their genre is because quite simply they are in the shadows of much bigger and better artists. they simply arent as good as other people doing the same music as they are.

I completely disagree...Bone thugs-n-harmony have a completely different style than any other artist’s out there…therefore you cant compare their music with the larger artists…its not a matter of them not being as good as other artists out there, its all a matter of preference…most people prefer trendy upbeat dance music….BTNH offer a laid back yet aggressive style that incorporates much more talent and harmonization then any other hip-hop group/artist out there…I personally prefer the style of BTNH over any other artist out there…I believe that the reason they did not do as well as other artists is due to the lack of promotion by the record labels they were with, and he fact that there style was too unique for much radio play…the songs that did get radio play are now classics…

"BTNH offer a laid back yet aggressive style that incorporates much more talent and harmonization then any other hip-hop group/artist out there".

???????????? Have I been listening to the right group? More talent and harmonization? When?, and than who? Saying they havent made it 'big' due to promotion and general piblicity is crap. Nearly all of their albums thus far have gone platinum at least once. Where they have failed is that they have simply had to take a back seat to MUCH MUCH better producers, and they simply havent broken any ground in the genre of hip hop. Thats why they dont get the recognition. they dont deserve it!

I think that the biggest problem with them is that they only came out because they had easy's consign on them. When easy died, they lost a lot of street cred. Then, on top of all that, Easy's wife did not let any of them out of the slave contracts that they were in. I heard that they really won't make any money if they release and albulm as a group but they are free to make solo albulms and that's what they have been doing.

BONE 4 LIFE Ya Heard?

Listen, Bone was unmatched Stylisticly. Lyrically. The only competition they had was Twista (who wasn't anyone at the time).

Easy Dying, The trouble with the wife, all big problems.

Also know, Flesh is in Prison (a big hit to the group - as he was probably one of the two most talented in the group).

"Gangsta ****" really dropped off for awhile as I recall. Even the most hard core artists (Ice Cube) for example is SOFT sounding compared to some of the old Bone records now days.

Krayzie has been doing the best on his solo ****, and if I recall Wish dropped out completely. There's some bad blood there too.

Krayzie is gonna blow up solo. My opinion. We'll see what happens. They need to get under a major label/get released from any previous contracts etc. Then it can get poppin' again.

Another thing... Bone's album after Easy died was pretty soft. I mean the dudes lost their best asset. Producer, Homeboy, and mentor. It would be hard for anyone.

Just think if Dre died.

metik2009 said:
On that note, do you think it's the beat that got them that far, like music nowadays, or was it the fact that they can nail the vocals, and maintain the badass look?
I think they got as far as they did because they did something different. But I think most viewed it as a gimmick. Once it wore off, they faded. To me, it's similar to Das Efx. Iggidy, Stiggidy was hot for a minute. But it turned out to be just a fad.

I also think some of their stuff was uncomprehendable... at least to me.

I think they tried something different, it just wasn't artistic enough to stick. But this is coming from someone that didn't like their sound, so take it for what it's worth. But even folks I know that liked them didn't care for anything but their first album.

Back