Riffs...???

Chew_Bear

A little confused…

1. What is a riff…?
2. Where is it used…?
3. Which instruments/sounds can play/be riffs…?
4. Isn’t a riff just a different version of the main melody…? i.e. A counter melody or even just enhancing/reinforcing the main melody of the song.

Originally…I was under the impression that a riff was mainly a…

’Pattern of notes, that a lead guitarist played during the climax/bridge of a rock song in a rock band and therefore can also be called a guitar solo’.

Hence…why I always hear terms like ‘lead guitar riff’. Hence…why I always hear guitarist talk all the time about famous lead guitarist and their famous guitar riffs. E.G. Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Van Halen, Slash, Mick Jagger etc.

So…When it comes to other genres besides rock that don’t use a lead guitar and might use a synth or other sound/instrument for the lead…(EDM, Hip Hop, Bass etc.)…Do the same principles/processes for a guitar riff in a rock song also hold true for EDM, Dance, Hip Hop type genres…

For Example…

A. Does the lead synth/VST in an EDM song play the riff in the drop, chorus or climax…?

B. Can other instruments/sounds play riffs too besides the lead synth…?

C. How do you create riffs/melodies that are intriguing, unique and that will stand out/counter from the main melody…?

A riff is simply a short musical phrase, which can be used by itself, strung together in groups to create a longer lead line, or repeated and played "call and response" style (as in a big band setting). The term was originated by jazz musicians, but has been particularly applied to guitar playing in the rock context (but is not exclusive to it).

So...for all intents and purposes to keep it very simple...

Is it safe to say that a riff is just another melody that is 'somewhat' different from the main melody of the song and is usually played 'alone' by the lead instrument/sound...?

Last edited:
A riff can be played by other instruments besides the lead(s) as well, and - at least in popular music - it's usually a repeating motif. I think the easiest way to figure this out is to simply google for "famous riffs" or something. Much easier to listen to it than to try to explain it in words.

It's not really a precise music theory term, more a descriptor.

You'd get a better sense of what a riff is by googling 'best 10 guitar riffs ever' 'best 10 bass riffs ever' etc

Back