Rich Sounding Saw In Ja Rule New York

Xabiton

Cupcake God
For those of us who have heard the song. There is a saw sound in there that is really rich sounding. I have a feeling it has something to do with the particular reverb used but I can't figure out how to emulate that type of sound. How can I create that sound in Reason 3?

If you're takin' about the lead synth, I know what you mean. The reverb really only adds the presence, but isn't really something to consider in how it sounds the way it does. What are you using? The Subtractor? Or the Malestrom? I'ma try the Malestrom and see what I can do...

Damn this is hard...there are some presets I found in the SoundBank that sound like it, I'd say mess with those until you find what you're looking for (I'd assume you're not gonna blatanly copy their sound...) and then add some 'verb to it...

Oh yeah, good lookin' out on that Drum ReFill link.

Last edited:
no i am looking to blantently copy that sound in particular the richness of what i believe to be reverb so i can use it on other sounds

and ill use either module ive been trying to remake this sound since the song came out

Last edited:
Actually that sound came out of the Reason sound bank. I think that was the first track cool & Dre use Reason on. Its in reason preset you just got to find it and add some reverb on it. But, i know for a fact that cool & Dre got that sound off of reason.

i have no doubts in my mind the sound is from reason i remade a similar sound in the malstrom but the reverb is what im asking about

when i try to use my saw's leads etc, they take like 40 seconds to stop playing so when i switch chords it sounds stupid. please help

I knew it was a preset. When I really listened, all the synths sounded like Reason sounds. For the reverb, I'd suggest wiring an Advanced Reverb to an Aux Send and mess with the knob until it sounds right. I still think the richness came from the underlyin' "saw-ness" of the synth lol.

California said:
when i try to use my saw's leads etc, they take like 40 seconds to stop playing so when i switch chords it sounds stupid. please help

Have you properly set the ADSR? Particularily the R? BTW, you gotta hook me up with that "Oh Baby" mp3. That song is so smooth.

Last edited:
Yo I SWEAR I read that they got that sound off a keyboard, a kewrzwell (however yoo spell it =X) I could be wrong tho.. NOT SAYING ITS NOT IN REASON THO ..

i dunno if thats what your after, but layer two-three of the same saw-style sounds slightly detuned to get a fatter sound

go in the reason sound bank, go to nn-19 ptches, go to synths and leads or woteva it called and its called PPG i think! i aint got reason n **** near me but i think thats where u can find it!

hope it helps!

"That beat was our sound, but what really made it different was that no one had put together those synths into a hip-hop track before," he says. The synths in question included Korg Trinity and Yamaha Motif ES7 keyboards and Novation Supernova and Roland JV880 and XV5080 sound modules, controlled from a Kurzweil PC88. "The sound worked in the street and in the clubs. It's a big sound, not just a beat.

lmao.... and homeboy above said he "knew for a fact it was reason", lol.. but yea it sounds like a "supersaw" based patch, from the older Roland JP synths or the XV's mentioned in the article.

Like someone else said, you need to stack and detune saws, its not just the reverb, and remember your comparing yours to the 'mastered' copy.

thanks great sounding patch but it still doesnt have the exact sound im looking for. the saw is right on but the richness of the reverb is missing.

Yo Xabition,

Go to your Reason and search for FATPPG_MW and you'll find the exact sound your looking for!

Peayce

Back