Reverse strings problem...

kang

Hows it goin peeps? All good i hope! Hopefully this one will be simple enough to solve :confused:

Software in use... Cubase SX3, HALion 3, Reason 3.

Righty ho... as you can read from the title, the problem/issue i have is with reverse strings. I am trying to find a more simpler way of getting the reverse string effect when i play the strings on my keyboard.

At the moment i create a string loop, export it, reverse it, chop it up and have my way with it. As you can no doubt tell this is pretty long winded!

So what i would like to know is if there are any plugins or VST instruments that allow me to reverse the strings i play, or perhaps there is a way of hooking up modules in Reason that will allow me to do this, or how about somehting in HALion? To be honest i haven't tried playing with the settings in HALion yet because i very rarely use it, Reason is my main source when i make music. I'm going to try messin with HALion tonight when i get home, but in the meantime if anyone has any info or recommendations then please let me know.

Also i did perform a search on the forum and i couldn't find any relevant info.

Cheers.

Kang.

Last edited:
So just using a long attack on your amp envelope isn't cutting it? I might have understood "reverse strings" wrong here, but that's the first thing I'd do...

Also, while I've never used Halion, it would be a bit weird for it not to have a reverse function built in.

I've tried the attack... but it doesn't have the same same effect i want.

By "reverse strings" i mean i want the strings to sound like they are being played backwards. It has a totally different sound to strings played normally in a "forward" fashion.

Please read my first post. Thats what i'm doing at the moment. I want to know if there is another way of doing this because take for example i'm working on a track and i create a string melody i like, i export it, reverse it then put it back in the track, it sounds good and i like it but then later on i wanna put a few twists and changes in there on the fly... it cant be done, i have 2 create a new melody section, export and re-import. Its a lot of hassle.

I was wondering if there was a simpler way of doing things so that i could create my melodies on the fly as a i go on rather than segment the whole process by exporting etc.

Not yet mate, i'm not in the lab, i'm heading over there tonight to prep for a recording session 2mo.

I'm gonna check it 2night, fingers crossed theres a feature that'll let me do it, if not i'll have 2 stick 2 the method i use at the mo :(

EDIT - Problem solved... i hope. I just got a call from a friend who knows HALion inside out! I tried ringing him before but got no answer so i left him a message. Anyways he just told me how to reverse the sample in HALion...

Loop -> Loop Mode -> Play Reverse

Sorted :D (i hope)

Just gotta test it out 2night.

Last edited:
i tried it and it works :D

I had to play around with the attack, release etc 2 get the sound i was after, but i got there in the end :D

Back