Representing the Entire Freq Spectrum with A Single Instrument

UncleDutch

Record. Mix. Repeat.
Hello FP,

In the past I have tried to utilize a bass, a low-mid range instrument, a high-mid instrument and keep my hats in the high end to help keep the spectrum properly represented in a hip hop beat.

Today, many popular hip-hop beats, and ones I personally think are dope, contain just a single lead instrument with occasional fill elements. Leads are usually layered with a subtle sub-bass and the top end sounds to be distorted/excited to some degree in many cases.

Is this a well-known technique to help "represent the entire freq spectrum" with what appears to me a single lead line? Do you use similar techniques?

it is quite common orchestrational technique and has been used since the 1500's; it's application to synths and pop music is grounded in centuries of orchestral music

it is quite common orchestrational technique and has been used since the 1500's; it's application to synths and pop music is grounded in centuries of orchestral music

Thanks a lot Bandcoach. Now I feel super dumb. Just kidding. Great answer as always. Have a good one.

no such thing as dumb questions just unasked ones - we all have them and we should all ask them regardless of how we think we might be perceived for doing so once we get an answer that gives us that omg moment

no such thing as dumb questions just unasked ones - we all have them and we should all ask them regardless of how we think we might be perceived for doing so once we get an answer that gives us that omg moment

I feel better now. Have a great day!

Back